Blinking Globe but DOES NOT boot

Reaction score
I restarted my mac, router and modem this morning. I now have a blinking globe at the start up. This is normal although I am not on a network. I figure that I made the startup disc a network a while ago.

However, now, I can't get past the blinking globe. It has been blinking for 13 minutes now, and I don't see it stopping soon.

I have read the apple forums:
Solution

This is happening because Network Disk is selected in the Startup Disk control panel and no NetBoot servers are available.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Open the Startup Disk control panel.
2. Select the appropriate startup disk icon.

3. Close the Startup Disk control panel.

4. Restart the computer

and I have read these forums
You can try to reboot your system and press and hold the option key. You should get several icons on your screen. One of them should be your system disk. I believe you can either tab over to it or click on it, then hit return to boot

I am concerned, confused, and frustrated.

Can anyone help me get past this boot screen, Are there alternative ways to boot an iMac (intel OS X 4.11.x)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reboot your Mac and hold down the "option" (alt) key when you hear the POST chime. Wait a bit until you see an icon image of your MacIntosh HD and the network boot Globe. Select your MacIntosh HD to boot the machine.

After it boots, open System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select your MacIntosh HD as the default.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Do I just keep holding it down?? I have done that but it has gone back into the same ol' blinking globe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just hold down the option key after the chime for about 10 seconds or so. You should see the icon for your MacIntosh HD along with the Globe. Select the MacIntosh HD.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok, so that isn't working immediatly. I am leaving the computer off for a second and I unplugged my External HD. Should I unplugg the Ethernet cable or is that not going to impact?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try it with the ethernet cable disconnected. But I'm not sure why you aren't seeing your boot drive unless there's a problem with it. If it persists, you might want to try booting the machine with your install recovery DVD and then run a FSCK on the hard drive. You can do that by using Disk Utility from the install recovery DVD.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have used the recovery disc to get into the reinstall menu; but when it wants me to point to a drive it install on. My drive doesn't show up. I tried to look at it/verify/repair it using disc utility but it isn't showing on there either. I went to start up disc and there is the Network one with the question mark icon but when I select that and restart it takes me back to the "select a language", and repeat same symptoms.

basically, my HD isn't showing up. It was working fine before I restarted the computer. I only restarted it because I was power cycling the router, modem and my girlfriends PC'.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. It looks like the drive died somehow. I suggest you remove the drive, and if you have a drive adapter or external carrier, you can try getting at the data that way. Or, you can try software designed specifically for accessing data and removing it from a dead drive.

Data Rescue 3

Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Had a similar issue with Tiger the other day altho initially i thought it was a function of an OS set to a resolution on a CRT being run on a larger LCD screen. After a number of attempts with the Flashing globe i started using Command Option Escape and then on next try the flashing folder icon with ? mark replaced the globe. Then i was finally able to Boot off of HD of the PowerMac - Never did find a reason for the flashing globe symbol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.