USB as a way to transfer files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
Can I use a USB cable to transfer files from my old PC to my new powerbook?

E

Ex_PC_Puke

In theory yes - there are products to assist migration from one system to another - but all I'm aware of are ones that go from PC -> PC or mac -> mac ...... but for PC -> mac - I don't know - it requires SW on both machines to "know" what to do with the cable

There are other options depending on how many GB of data you're talking:
- if you have a home router you can use the network to xfer files

- The little USB Flash drives can economicaly hold up to 1GB of data before they start getting spendy

- USB2 external drives are very reasonable in price and can hold up 30 - 60GB of data or more

And yes you can plug a drive into a PC - xfer files to it - and a mac can read the disk ------ good luck

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
Ex_PC_Puke said:
In theory yes - there are products to assist migration from one system to another - but all I'm aware of are ones that go from PC -> PC or mac -> mac ...... but for PC -> mac - I don't know - it requires SW on both machines to "know" what to do with the cable

There are other options depending on how many GB of data you're talking:
- if you have a home router you can use the network to xfer files

- The little USB Flash drives can economicaly hold up to 1GB of data before they start getting spendy

- USB2 external drives are very reasonable in price and can hold up 30 - 60GB of data or more

And yes you can plug a drive into a PC - xfer files to it - and a mac can read the disk ------ good luck

what's SW?

X

xthisisRomancex

If it is a formated Hard Drive for the mac and pc to both read it you MUST have it formated in fat32

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

NTSF file system worked fine for my removable HD. both the pc and mac could read it.

K

Kokopelli

Biturbo V12 AMG said:
NTSF file system worked fine for my removable HD. both the pc and mac could read it.

But Mac can only read it. (10.3.9 and above IIRC)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.