13" refurb or late 2008 mbp 15"

Reaction score
Heres the situation. I have the opportunity to get the last pre unibody 15" pro 2.4ghz for $800. On the surface that sounds like a good deal. But I can get a late 2009 refurbed 13" 2.26ghz for $929 on Apple's website. The 15"'s specs are much better but I have heard horror stories of the 8600M malfunctioning and screens messing up.
How common are these issues and are there other issues?
In your opinion, which is the better buy, and why?

Also this is my first post! I currently have a 2007 macbook 2.0ghz 13 w 2gb of ram and 320gb hd.(for sale on ebay, btw. pm me if you're interested) and am looking to upgrade to something a little more powerful for recording and such but i want this one to also be able to last me for 3 or more years so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks for your advice!

88five-oh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
but i want this one to also be able to last me for 3 or more years so I want to make the right decision.

I think if you are looking to invest in a product (especially a laptop) that you will use for 3years, you should get the current model.

You may find the screen of the 13" too small and the 17" too big. Personally the 15" is perfect. So if you want to have it for 3years (which is a long time for a single laptop), have a look at the new MacBook Pros. Obviously costing more now, but you will benifit in the long run :)

Just a thought...

All the best mate,

-Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.