Do I need anti virus software?

Reaction score
Recently I received notice that there had been several attempts to send email faxes from my mac book pro. No one with physical access to the computer would have or could have sent them. Have I been hijacked? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are no MAC OS X viri. Having said that, if you are using Windows through BootCamp or some other program, the partition will need protection and the best free program available is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Safe internet browsing practices is the best defense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Currently i have been using the Mac for 7 years with no virii protection and never had a problem.
As Harry says - safe surfing does the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Recently I received notice that there had been several attempts to send email faxes from my mac book pro.

Notice from where? How did it arrive? What did it look like? What did it recommend that you do about it?

it could be a false alert designed to sell you something you don't need.

Reaction score
Notice from where? How did it arrive? What did it look like? What did it recommend that you do about it?

it could be a false alert designed to sell you something you don't need.

Agreed - it's highly unlikely that this is a virus, so I wouldn't be terribly worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24in 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo OSX 10.5.8 iMac iPhone 3GS 16GB Apple TV
my computer gets that alert all the time when i accidentally press the E-mail Fax button on the front of my canon scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
don't worry about viruses for the mac, and remember that you and you only are in control. Be smart about what sites you visit and what links you follow. If you can stay away from illegal torrents/scam sites, you'll be golden :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not unlikely at all, it simply isn't a virus.

Um, assume you mean not likely at all. ;) However, the OP did not indicate if Windows is also installed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Your computer isn't infected if you're running OS X. That's not to say someone hasn't hijacked your email account. Choose better passwords.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
And there is a difference between getting access to the computer and actually installing something on it. You need to put in a system password if you wish to change anything that can alter the core system.

Reaction score
And where exactly in that article does it say that there are viruses for Mac OS?

I think you should go read that again if you think that article says anything about there being any virii in the wild that can affect OS X.

And there is a difference between getting access to the computer and actually installing something on it. You need to put in a system password if you wish to change anything that can alter the core system.

My bad. I meant this. Macs still have a lot more vulnerabilities at any one time than Windows has, typically and the fact that Mac users feel like they are invulnerable means that if you can get the right combination of social engineering and programming you can infect a Mac. Not that it really matters, because I doubt there are as many people who will put in the effort when they can put less effort for Windows. Still something to be aware of if you use a Mac that you should still practice common sense safe browsing habits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My comment stands. Still nothing about mac virus. Me thinks that either you are just putting the wind up people for a jolly jape or that you are very sad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My bad. I meant this.

That is NOT a Virus. A Virus self installs and replicates. That is a trojan. There is one out there that I have seen so far. You have to actually run it and give it your admin password or it will do nothing.

I took an older G4 Powermac and downloaded that so called Virus (no a Trojan) and gave it my password. All it did was do a DNS Redirect. I opened the terminal and removed it in 20 seconds. The machine was as good as new after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad. I meant this. Macs still have a lot more vulnerabilities at any one time than Windows has,

You didn't read that one very well either. Your second statement ^ is a hoot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
An article from 2007 and then an article from 2006... If you give me ten minutes I might be able to find one from 1934 that confirms this theory... O:)

Macs still have a lot more vulnerabilities at any one time than Windows has

Priceless....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Read on znet one time that posters from that camp will go to Mac Forums and stir the
FUD with virus on a Mac wonder if this is one of those times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.