macbook pro blank screen, how do i transfer everything to an external HD?

Reaction score
hey, so ive got the black screen problem, and i need to take my macbook pro in to get it fixed.
only problem, is that the entire desktop is full of customer info, and im not supposed to allow that information to be seen by anyone but me. so is there any way i can transfer everything to an external HD, and erase the info from my computers HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Possibly - if u have access to another Mac then connect the 2 with Firewire cable and power on the MBP and hold the T key for about 30 sec's, then the HD should show up on the desktop of other Mac. Assuming that you have a current back up you can then delete the User folder of the back screen MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
You could also boot from a live disk (possibly even from the install disc) and copy your HD over to an external. If you can't do it from a disc, grab a spare external drive, put an OS on it (and make sure it's bootable) and install SuperDuper! or some similar program. Then you can just clone the drive from the dead computer to a backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.