macbook pro 13" mid 2009 audio out issue

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 13" unibody 2.26 mid 2009.

I have looked all over, and asked a few questions on different forums, but I have not had a definitive answer.

The question is, can my macbook pro support optical audio out.

according to The Apple tech guys, my model does not, but lots of people are saying that it should.

What I want to do is connect my MBP to a hdtv with optical digital capabilities, I have purchased a toslink cable with 3.5mm adapter, I have plugged it in, but I do not get any red light coming out of headphone socket.

Apple website says that the single connector supports Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output).

If this is so, why am I not seeing red light when toslink plugged in?

Do i need to activate anything? Should it do it automatically?

Thank you, Matt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to MacTracker, your model MBP does support optical digital audio output.

Please read the sticky post regarding hooking your MBP to your TV.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and link,

Have read and there is still no reason why I am not seeing red light when toslink inserted.

??

Matt.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would say go into SystemPreferences - Sound - Output and try changing it.

Having said that, I'm skeptical that you have a TV that will accept digital audio with either the PC or HDMI inputs which are the two typically being used for computer connections. At least I haven't seen a HDTV that allowed it yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.