Couple of questions about Boot Camping and Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just had a couple of questions surrounding Boot Camping:

1. Is it possible to boot-camp and run VM on an upgrade version of Windows 7 onto my Mac? Will I run into any hurdles that I should know about?

2. Also, will I be able to join my school's network with Snow Leopard? I know that Win7 Home Premium doesn't allow it while Win7 Pro does.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can install the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium using Boot Camp. Many of us have already done so. You should of course do so in accordance with the MS EULA. That means you should already own an upgrade eligible version of Windows. (XP, Vista)

I don't see any reason why you could not join your school's network with Snow Leopard as long as you are given the proper credentials. As for Windows 7 Home Premium network restrictions, they're the same as XP Home. You would not be able to join a domain, however, you can still join networks.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
You can install the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium using Boot Camp. Many of us have already done so. You should of course do so in accordance with the MS EULA. That means you should already own an upgrade eligible version of Windows. (XP, Vista)

I don't see any reason why you could not join your school's network with Snow Leopard as long as you are given the proper credentials. As for Windows 7 Home Premium network restrictions, they're the same as XP Home. You would not be able to join a domain, however, you can still join networks.

Regards.

Ummm, if I don't have a previous copy of XP/Vista, will I not be able to boot-camp/VM? My closest match is my old Dell Vista Home Premium reinstallation DVD.

But yeah, about the domain thingie, that's a concern of mine. So can students join a school's domain under Snow Leopard? I'd like to be able tob back up my files with them if possible.

Reaction score
If you don't own a full copy of an MS OS then you can't use an upgrade key to unlock it. You would be in violation of the EULA and it likely wouldn't work.

As for the Uni question, those are better answered by their IT staff. We would only be guessing on their capabilities.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ummm, if I don't have a previous copy of XP/Vista, will I not be able to boot-camp/VM? My closest match is my old Dell Vista Home Premium reinstallation DVD.

Your Dell Vista should qualify. Even though it's an OEM license, you still own it and IMO provides eligibility. Sometimes, it takes a room full of lawyers to figure out what the MS EULA says... :Angry-Tongue:

But yeah, about the domain thingie, that's a concern of mine. So can students join a school's domain under Snow Leopard? I'd like to be able tob back up my files with them if possible.

As DaFlake advises, it would be best to consult with the school's IT folks. However, I would be surprised if you couldn't. Most schools allow students to download XP Pro from their server (multiple license) just so they can use it to join the school's domain. OS X does not have the same restrictions for joining a domain that Windows does. But again, only the IT folks can provide you with the correct answer.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Dell Vista should qualify. Even though it's an OEM license, you still own it and IMO provides eligibility. Sometimes, it takes a room full of lawyers to figure out what the MS EULA says... :Angry-Tongue:

What you are saying is the same as telling someone that if you own a copy of Tiger then the Snow Leopard upgrade is ok to buy. Bottom line is that the OEM copy that he has is licensed to the system that it came with not to be used on other systems. We will have to agree to disagree on this but I don't think that telling people that it isn't OK to pirate apple software and then endorse it on Microsoft is a bit hypocritical.

OP
J
Reaction score
What you are saying is the same as telling someone that if you own a copy of Tiger then the Snow Leopard upgrade is ok to buy. Bottom line is that the OEM copy that he has is licensed to the system that it came with not to be used on other systems. We will have to agree to disagree on this but I don't think that telling people that it isn't OK to pirate apple software and then endorse it on Microsoft is a bit hypocritical.

That's where it's up to me, the buyer and user, to exercise his own moral discretion.

What's legal ain't always moral and right. If a country legitimizes indefinite detainment of its own citizens without due process of law simply for the purpose of stifling dissent and opposition, then it's not right.

In the same way, I got sodomized by Microsoft. Not once. But TWICE. My Dell and my Asus came with Windows VISTA. Microsoft made sure to introduce the Windows 7 cutoff date well after I'd already paid for both. I think I deserve a little restitution.

Reaction score
Good luck with it, you will need to have a legitimate copy of XP or Vista installed for that upgrade key to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.