Macbook pro harddisk 120 GB

Reaction score
Hi;

I have an issue which drives me crazy . I have upgraded my macbook pro's 120 gb toshiba harddisk with an another harddisk. It works perfectly but I decided to use my macbook pro's old hdd as a external hdd . I bought a 2,5'' sata external hdd box ( akasa ) and installed the hdd in it .

My macbook pro recognize the harddisk via usb and it has no problem but when I use this hdd in my desktop which has windows 7 64 bit, can't recognized. ( but the lights blinking)

I can't see my hdd in the explorer .

Can anybody help me how to fix that problem.

Thank you very much

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order for Windows to be able to "see" your old hard drive, you will either have to reformat it to FAT-32 or use third party software on the PC that can read and write to the HFS Extended file system.

Be aware that FAT-32 has a ~4 GB file size limitation. Also, if you choose to reformat that drive to FAT-32, do not use Disk Utility from your Mac. Disk Utility will create a small 300 MB partition in addition to the main one on the disk. That may cause Windows not to "see" the second partition. Download and use the free GParted to do the formatting. (The Windows formatter will not format a drive to FAT-32 that is larger than 32 GB.)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.