Web Sharing Problem

Reaction score
I've enabled web sharing so i can send my parents video's and pics of my son, only my dad is trying to access the folder in IE8 & Firefox and is getting the this page cannot be displayed screen.

I have tried the page on my Windows Laptop and it works fine and it also works from my PS3

I got my dad to restore IE8 settings but still no joy

He has also tried 2 other laptops in the house and they are the same

Could it be the router?(belkin)

If it makes any difference i'm in Ireland & he's in the UK

Has anyone ran into a similar problem and can shed some like on this for me?

Thanks

Reaction score
OK, is your dad in the same house on the same network or is he trying to connect from another location across the WEB?

scratch that, I just saw the you in Ireland and him in UK bit....

What IP did you give him (don't post it but was it a 10.1 or a 192.168 IP)? The IP you will need to give him the IP that your router is getting from your ISP. Then you will have to forward all port 80 requests on your router to go to your local IP (the one on your mac). There is a lot more to it they just turning that on.

This is called port forwarding. Also be advised that your computer will be open to the world and if scanned and not secured someone could trash your WEB page. They can't really do a lot more than that, but I wanted you to at least know that.

OP
A
Reaction score
It was a 192. address

Never had much luck with port forwarding could never get it work when trying to set in up for other stuff

Thanks

Reaction score
192.168 and 10.0 are class C networks and can't be routed. Basically they are used for local networks and your router translates your internal address to a routable address that is assigned by your ISP and vice versa. So, unless you do the port forwarding at the router you won't be able to share it. Sorry...

If you give the make and model of the router we might be able to walk you through it or you could find a site that you can upload your WEB page to and use their service.

OP
A
Reaction score
Set up the Static IP ok but when i set up the port forwarding as per the instructions in the link i get this msg

No1.WAN IP Address is invalid!

OP
A
Reaction score
I got those settings in finally

How do i find the address that i need to give to my dad?

Reaction score
That is the address of the router on the WAN side. It will be the one that your router is getting from your ISP.

OP
A
Reaction score
Right go my dad to try it

He entered WAN IP and he got a screen that says "it works" How does he see my web shares?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Your personal page is located at http://yourip/~username. Replace yourip with the IP address and username with your username. If you don't put the username, it will go to the default "It Works!" page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.