gray screen,gray apple,no progress dial, stays there

Reaction score
Hi, I have an ibook G4. I started it this morning and it chimes, goes to the gray screen with the dark gray apple, and just stays there.

I tried resetting the PRAM,(on reboot hold command-option-p-r) tried to do a file system check(hold command-option-o-f) but it wouldn't let me access the single user mode; tried Command-option-o-f , it let me access the command prompt, and typed; reset-nvram .

It didn't change anything. It still boots to the chime/gray screen/gray apple and sits there. What is going on? Is this a hard drive issue? any ideas out there would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brenda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'd say it's probably the hard drive. Given that you can't boot into safe mode, running fsck is useless. Can you boot from the install disc? I'd be a little surprised, but it would be worth it to check the internal drive w/ Disk Utility. The fact that you're not getting the progress wheel is a little strange, but not enough to really make note of. I've only had this problem on my '07 Intel MB, so I don't know if PPC is different. Sounds like you know your way around the machine pretty well, but make a copy of your internal drive just in case and try replacing the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.