Dnla

Reaction score
I recently bought a Toshiba 46UX600U, which is DNLA compliant. I have a home network, with an iMac (running snow leopard), a Win 7 PC, and I have an iPhone.

So Im trying to figure this out – the TV is a DMR, but can the Mac be setup as a DMS? How? And can my iPhone serve as a DMC? How do I do that?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You should probably RFUA if you want YQTBA as not everyone KWTTA.

OP
S
Reaction score
i assume that anyone who can help me out knows what the abbreviations mean, but here are some definitions:

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard used by manufacturers of consumer electronics to allow entertainment devices within the home to share their content with each other across a home network.

The DLNA specification categorizes devices into four categories:

Digital media servers (DMS)
Digital media players (DMP)
Digital media controllers (DMC)
Digital media renderers (DMR)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
i assume that anyone who can help me out knows what the abbreviations mean

Possible true.

What device is connected directly to your TV, or are you thinking of streaming all content? I don't know what format your content is in or if it has any DRM, those factors could change things.

I assume you're familiar with Boxee and XMBC but have discounted them (because you're not intending to connect a computer directly to your TV)?

I know MediaTomb can transcode from Mac to a DNLA device on the fly (it's th eonly one I know of that's free) - there may be more options for Windows but I am not familiar with them, but your Windows machine might have trouble using your Mac as a server based disk.

ilg

Reaction score
a few months ago I tried to evaluate available DNLA servers running on Mac, and although there were a few available, the final conclusion was a bitter one: the idea behind DNLA is a generous one but implementation are disappointingly plagued by incompatibilities.

since it seems there is no universal solution, I advise you to try all those you can find and see which one behaves better with your TV.

regards,

Liviu

OP
S
Reaction score
do you have any suggestions for servers I might try out...to get me started?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.