Pls help! I can't download anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
Hi guys!
I new to this forum and I hope you don't mind me starting a new thread and hopefully in the right chapter.

I'm a new convert to Mac. I'm using a MacPro 2.53 Ghz Intel Core2Duo with 4GB Ram running on V10.6.3.
All this while I've no problems downloading anything I want. But now I can't download anything. It has been several months already. I tried several ways but in vain. Hope some kind soul out there can help me. :eek:

I'm using Download Helper and that is only good for clips but downloading stuff like software is still a problem. Sometimes pressing 'Option' and clicking on the hyperlink works but most of the time it doesn't. Either I get a http file or the left bottom corner of my firefox indicate 'Stopped'.

Please advise. :D
Thanks,
Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Delete Download Helper and see if that helps. Seriously!

Do you have the latest version of FF? (3.6.3)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Also you can download some things... you downloaded the website's content fine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Get rid of the download manager as toMACsh has suggested. When you do uninstall it though, make sure to use the uninstaller if it comes with one. I have heard of many problems that arise out of users improperly uninstalling download managers.

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys!

Thanks for all your response. I will certainly delete the Download Helper and see if that will solve the problem. Thank you for your input. Appreciate it.

I will post my results after I do that.

Cheers! There are kind souls afterall! ;D
Jeremy

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still not able to download

Hmmm,
I've deleted all those add-ons for downloading but still I can't download files. I was trying to download the freeware Dropbox but in vain. When I tried clicking 'Option' and download, what I get is a .htm file.

I'm so frustrated. It wasn't like that when I first got my Mac. :(

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
so what happens if you click on the hyperlink for the download. Just a mouse click, not option then download?

It should automagically start downloading and you should see the Safari/FireFox download window open up and display the download!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hmmm,
I've deleted all those add-ons for downloading but still I can't download files. I was trying to download the freeware Dropbox but in vain. When I tried clicking 'Option' and download, what I get is a .htm file.

I'm so frustrated. It wasn't like that when I first got my Mac. :(

Any advice?

If you've tried the suggestions given and you still can't download, check with your ISP to see if there are any restrictions on your account.

Regards.

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

so what happens if you click on the hyperlink for the download. Just a mouse click, not option then download?

It should automagically start downloading and you should see the Safari/FireFox download window open up and display the download!

Should I just click on the hyperlink, it will appears that I'm downloading except that the page will not load. Either it says 'Transferring' or 'Done' but blank page.

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
checked

If you've tried the suggestions given and you still can't download, check with your ISP to see if there are any restrictions on your account.

Regards.

I did check with my ISP regarding my broadband and it was ok.

The sites that I wanted to download (like those freeware) are from legit sites like Tucows, Softonic, Apple) so I don't think it should be an issue.

Unlike Windows, I can't restore to a earlier date and fix the problem that I may have created without realizing. I've been using Windows like forever and only convert to Mac last year. So far I'm happy with Mac except for these hiccups which I hope you guys out there would be able to assist.

Thanks.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24in 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo OSX 10.5.8 iMac iPhone 3GS 16GB Apple TV
have you tried checking in your download folder? check your preferences to see where and what your download destination actually is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I decided to try a browser named Wyzo. It is based on firefox but the downloads are supposed to be much faster... maybe that's on the PC but the Mac version did the same as Jereme7.. Downloads work fine on ff and safari, so try Safari (this might help you to troubleshoot where the problem is).. If that works OK for you, then you know it is something that is wrong with firefox, if the problem exists for both then there could be other issues.. If it's firefox then maybe a fresh install of ff might help. It sounds more to me that your browser is having a communication error when downloading and maybe some settings within the browser are off?

I'm no genius but try checking your firewall and network settings. If you have an external firewall or hub - unplug and reset them both, maybe you need to update drivers (google that as I have heard of a few isp that had probs with the mac until drivers were updated), you could also check your prefs.

Hope this helps

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still need help

I decided to try a browser named Wyzo. It is based on firefox but the downloads are supposed to be much faster... maybe that's on the PC but the Mac version did the same as Jereme7.. Downloads work fine on ff and safari, so try Safari (this might help you to troubleshoot where the problem is).. If that works OK for you, then you know it is something that is wrong with firefox, if the problem exists for both then there could be other issues.. If it's firefox then maybe a fresh install of ff might help. It sounds more to me that your browser is having a communication error when downloading and maybe some settings within the browser are off?

I'm no genius but try checking your firewall and network settings. If you have an external firewall or hub - unplug and reset them both, maybe you need to update drivers (google that as I have heard of a few isp that had probs with the mac until drivers were updated), you could also check your prefs.

Hope this helps

Well thank you for your recommendation. I might juz try that browser. The thing is, I can't download anything using Safari too so I don't think it could be the browser. I tried earlier to download some freeware from Macfreeware and all I get are some html files which open and direct me to their sites.

The thing is I wish there is an Apple Support shop here. I couldn't find one yet but I'm still trying. Perhaps these ppl there could check it out. That is my last resort as I've to pay for that service and I don't know how much they will charge.

Anyway, I like to thank everyone who responded and gave me their advice/opinions. I really do appreciate it. Perhaps I juz have to locate an Apple shop and try my luck there or I may have to switch to PC? I certainly hope not.

Thanks again everyone!

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No can do

Well, tot I juz add a few more points here;
I tot I try to download Wyzo browser to see if that would solve the problem. No, I forgot .... I can't download any files other than Fonts which I had some success. But that's all. So I can't even try out a new browser. :(

I like to re-install my Firefox but I can't download a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, how close are you to an Apple Store? You need an appointment at the Genius Bar, because you're not getting anywhere here.

OP
jereme7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No genius bar

OK, how close are you to an Apple Store? You need an appointment at the Genius Bar, because you're not getting anywhere here.

Hi Tom,
There are no Genius Bar (I didn't know about Genius Bar but I googled) and there are only resellers here. I'm still trying to figure out which is the reliable one to go to as there are much complaints from here and there. Well, I'll just have to sort that out.

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TJ,

I guess I should have known.

"Tom"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.