Screen/keyboard brightness hotkey?

Reaction score
I have a MBP 13. For general use, I let the Mac automatically adjust screen brightness and keyboard illumination. For movies, I set brightness to full and turn keyboard illumination off.

Is there a hotkey or other means to easily switch between these two modes, without having to manually adjust screen brightness and keyboard illumination each time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Yo, yes there is... Here you go mate:

F1 decrease brightness (command+F1 changes display mode, option+F1 brings up display prefs)
F2 increase brightness (option+F2 brings up display prefs)

F5 decrease keyboard brightness for backlit keyboards (option+F5 brings up keyboard prefs)
F6 increase keyboard brightness for backlit keyboards (option+F6 brings up keyboard prefs)

All the best,

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

F1 decrease brightness (command+F1 changes display mode, option+F1 brings up display prefs)

F5 decrease keyboard brightness for backlit keyboards (option+F5 brings up keyboard prefs)
F6 increase keyboard brightness for backlit keyboards (option+F6 brings up keyboard prefs)

All the best,

-Ben

I think the OP means one key to press to switch between his 2 preference settings. Instead of incrementally increasing/decreasing brightness and keyboard backlighting, create personalized settings that are assigned to a hotkey. I can not think of any way to do this, but there might be some 3rd party tools/apps that will let you. *shrug*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
There's an app called Labtick that will let you control the keyboard brightness, and I know there are brightness apps out there, but none of the names come to mind. Like MYmacROX said, I'm sure there's a way to set hotkeys, but unless you want to spend hours downloading software just to see if there are hotkeys enabled on it, you might just want to go with what benparko said.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks

All the best,

-Ben

Thanks. I use those F keys now. As MYmacROX guessed, I am looking for a shortcut to change from one setup to the other without having to change both the display brightness and the backlit keys brightness separately. Sounds like such does not exist or is not well known.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Ahh ok. Well if I come across something in the future, I'll let you know.

Glad to help,

-Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.