Making the switch! Harddrive help

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making the switch to Mac next week because I need it for editing (FCP), and I currently have a large external harddrive with films, music, photos and stuff on it for my windows laptop.

How does it work me using that harddrive with my iMac? Does it have to be reformatted? Will i loose all my stuff?

Apologies if this has been a thread before, I did look!

Thanks for any help,

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You can install NTFS drivers for os x, but the best bet would be to migrate your files to the iMac, reformat the HDD to FAT32 or Mac OS Journaled (if you plan on using it for backups), and then move stuff back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hi,

I'm making the switch to Mac next week because I need it for editing (FCP), and I currently have a large external harddrive with films, music, photos and stuff on it for my windows laptop.

How does it work me using that harddrive with my iMac? Does it have to be reformatted? Will i loose all my stuff?

Apologies if this has been a thread before, I did look!

Thanks for any help,

Jamie

Are you going to use the external hard drive on both PCs and Macs? If so, keep it at NTFS and use ntfs-3g on the Mac to read and write to the external drive.
If not, do what Dark said move everything off, reformat the drive to MacOS journaled (HFS+) and move it back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.