Accessing my USB HD through my AEBS at home, from PC at work!?!??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody, 2,4 GHz, 2 GB ram, 3G iPhone
Hi Everybody...

I am desperately trying to set up my AEBS to function as a file transfer unit, so that I can move huge files back and forth from my computer at work to a HD connected to my AEBS at home!

Situation: I have connected a USB HD to my AEBS at home, and it works with time machine and all, with my macbook when I'm connected to the AEBS at home!

At work, I can access the HD as well from my macbook... using afp://my.ip.adress, but... I cannot access the HD from my work station, which is running Windows XP!? I have tried a simple "http://my.ip.adress, but no connection is made... I am really not a tech nerd ;D, so maybe I am going about this the wrong way, but I thought this would be pretty simple!??

How do I get this working?

Anyone!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
At home you are access the USB HD from like this:

USB HD -> wired to the AEBS -> wireless to the macbook.
There is no internet involved.
But at your work you'd need to go through the internet to do this. I'm not sure this is possible without a mobile me account. I'm not an expert though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody, 2,4 GHz, 2 GB ram, 3G iPhone
Well... I know I said I wasn't a technerd, but I do undestand the internet/no internet part of this! ;D

I've stumbled on this "go mobileme, and then you can access all your files"-argument before, but then please help me undestand why I have no problems accessing my files, from my macbook, without any mobileme account involved!?

It MUST be possible!! :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's ok :). We always ask the dumb question just cause even I at times am like "doh I know that and just forgot to do it".

why I have no problems accessing my files, from my macbook, without any mobileme account involved!?

Apple - MobileMe - Your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC. In perfect sync.
That would be a very nice link to look into. I know Mobile Me has an annual fee to access it. So if there was another way to access the files from your work that'd be nice.

Maybe you could set up a folder on the hard drive as an ftp server. And just use a ftp client at your work to download and up load stuff to it. And at home you can just access it normally. I'm not so sure about another way of doing this.

I'm sure it can be done, accessing a harddrive and remotely copying files to and from it. I'm just not so sure how. Lets hope someone else knows more :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
How big are your files? You could use dropbox for free if it is under 2GB.
Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.
Another choice - try teamviewer - there is a transfer protocol that allows you to get files off of computers - as well as control them. So if you have a computer at home with the AEBS HD mounted you should be able to get to those files.
TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

Otherwise you could use ssh tunneling of afp - but since you claim you are not a technerd I'd not recommend this route as it is complex to setup - once it is setup though it is probably what you want. If you understand this then you are good to go:
ssh -L 10548:<internal ip address of TC>:548 [email protected]
Finder on the remote machine
go to server afp://127.0.0.1:10548
I can access the disk but time machine does not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.