iMac keeps crashing - please help

Reaction score
Got a four month old Intel iMac 27".

Yesterday when copying some pictures from my camera, Preview crashed, then again, then the system. Ever since I can't even open an application without it crashing. Sometimes I'll click to log in, get a blue screen and then sent back to the log in. Sometimes I get in and finder won't boot, most times I can click on something and I get the black shadow with the multi-lingual "Your computer needs to be restarted" screen. I restart, same stuff happens :(

I'm new to Macs so don't have a clue where to start. Unfortunately I never got around to the Time Machine backup either.

Please help!:(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That darkish screen with the many languages is a Kernel Panic. A lot of times it's caused by a hardware fault. Did you install any after market RAM in the iMac? Let us know and we will go from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.