Video Card on PowerMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.26 13" | PowerMac G5 2.7 DP 8GB RAM | iPhone 4 16GB
Hello,

I have a PowerMac G5 (PowerMac7,3 model). It's running slightly sluggish so I'd like to see what I can do to speed it up a bit.

I've already maxed out the RAM (8GB) but I think the cause might be in the video (it seems to work hard when viewing/editing video and images. It currently has the standard ATI Radeon 9650 with 256 MB of VRAM.

I'm wondering, if get the XFX Radeon HD 4650 1GB 8x AGP Card, will it work on this machine and should I see an improvement? Or is this machine simply at it's maximum and I should live with it, or start saving for a new one?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Doing searches on this card, the only Mac version found is a PCI-e card for a Mac Pro and that will not work in your G5. All AGP cards listed in that model seem to be PC cards and you do need it in a Mac version.

Have you taken your G5 apart, given it a good clean especially around the front and removable fans and installed either Onyx or Main Menu and ran them regularly? Our G5's are getting long in the tooth and will show their age particularly when gaming, watching videos and other CPU intensive activities. This is called progress.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.