Help Imac G3 won't show video

Reaction score
Hi All,

I found an old iMac G3 in my basement and would like to use it as a test computer for various things, but when I turn it on nothing shows up on the screen. Please help

-Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Is it getting power, are you getting any chimes, does it have a hard drive and memory and do you have any system discs with the iMac?

OP
Z
Reaction score

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes it is getting power, it has a hard drive and RAM, i can hear the CRT turn on and the HDD spin,and no i don't have the discs.

Reaction score
You need a new Battery. What generation Imac is it. Some are easier to open than others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Mac SK suggests start with replacing the PRAM battery and here is a link on how to do that. After replacing, reboot holding down Option, Command P and R keys all at the same time. Keep us posted on your progress?

iMac replacement battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And you can replace the PRAM battery through the small door underneath - if you are not a double jointed midget, it can be put back in with duct tape and a pair of long nosed pliers and a fair amount of swearing.
Not sure that the battery is the only problem as i have had them boot before with a flat PRAM battery. When you power on and then hold the T key does it show the firewire symbol on screen?

Smaller version of this;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
And you can replace the PRAM battery through the small door underneath - if you are not a double jointed midget, it can be put back in with duct tape and a pair of long nosed pliers and a fair amount of swearing.

Sorry Collin, but I have to correct you there - it's a great deal of swearing - in as many languages as possible! ;D

I had to remove the outer casing to replace the PRAM battery last time, and the job's due again soon. I suspect poor battery quality, but this iMac does sit powered off for long periods.

Whoever designed the positioning of the battery in the logic board must have had a grudge against the world in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try 2 pieces of duct tape but make sure it only covers half or one side of the battery, then with a pair of long handle needle nose pliers, move it into position and press into place with appropriate digit then work the duct tape off. Worked for me.

Click for full size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.