iPad already has junk under the screen.

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just picked up my iPad 3G yesterday & noticed that it has particles in between the glass & LCD. It was like that when I bought it, as I've barely used it a few hours and sure haven't done anything to it.

Only one of the particles is noticeable when the screen is turned on, otherwise I can't really see them....should I take it back for a new one?

I don't think it's unfair to expect pretty darn close to perfection for almost $700 out the door....

Curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb
I would if it's really noticeable and annoying. If it was that way out of the box then you deserve better for $700.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
There is no question about it. You should return it brunto!

Out of curiosity, do you thin it might be dead pixels and not just dust particles?!

I had an iPhone 3GS for while and when I bought it I noticed a line towards the top quarter of the screen going horizontally across the screen and took it back it was replaced with out a question from the Genius Bar.

I realize your case isn't as extreme as a line through the screen, but I am curious to know.

I don't think you should have any problems getting it replaced at all thought.

Good Luck and please post back when you get a replacement.

Cheers

MMM

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

It absolutely was like that right out of the box - the iPad still hasn't left my house and I've barely had it in my possession for 24 hours.

I'm positive it is some sort of particle/debris and not dead pixels because I turn the screen off and can see them very clearly when I shine a light on the screen.

Again, only the one large particle is noticeable, but I don't feel that I got my money's worth with this one.......I'll swap it out very soon.

Question: If I select "restore as new" in iTunes, does that completely wipe all my data from the device, or is there a more secure way to do that? Maybe restore it several times to ensure my data is overwritten?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it works anything like the iPhone/iPod Touch yes that should wipe it clean of all your data.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm typing this on my new iPad. They swapped it out no questions asked. They also had the apple case in stock, and let me tell you: Apple is doing the device a huge disservice by not including the case with the iPad. IMO, the iPad borders on useless without the apple case.

The case is extremely slim and made out of a wonderful material that keeps the darn thing in place, whether that means in your hand or on your lap.

I did a lot of research on cases and the apple one seemed like the best bet, and after using it for two seconds, it absolutely makes the iPad. Period.

Apple ought to jack the price of the ioad up $20-$30 and just include the case with it.

OP
D
Reaction score
One more thing: when i went to hit "restore as new", it started downloading the firmware, which was ~500mb. I cancelled that and remembered there is a "wipe device" button in the settings. That did the trick. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

And thanks for the update. Good catch on the wipe device option I completely forgot about that personally.

Enjoy the new iPad.

Cheers

MMM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.