Creating photo albums in iPad...

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased an iPad for my Mother to organize and keep all of her photos on. She is slightly older and has a difficult time figuring out how to use a macbook. I loaded everything onto her iPad and got her a usb connector for her point and shoot camera. Now she can take photos and upload directly to her iPAd and flip through them, effortlessly - all without the help or aid of an actual computer.

However, I cannot figure out how to assemble and organize them all - once uploaded. It seems that you cannot create photo albums in the iPAd (much like the iphone). Does anybody know if this is correct? If this is so - this is a horrible, horrible oversight by Apple. This would mean that my Mother needs to plug her iPAD into a macbook and LEARN how to use a macbook - only so she can organize her photos on her iPAD. The iPAd is big and easy to figure out... why not just make it a one stop shop? PLEASE tell me somebody has figured out how to create photo albums already...?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no way to create albums in the Photo app on the iPad at this time.

Reaction score
Solution for creating albums on your ipad

I too found it frustrating that there was no way to create photo albums on my iPad. After searching for all possible options I came across an app called photo-sort. It cost $1.99 and I have found it well worth the small cost. I now have all my 500 plus pictures organized into folders by event, pet, artistic etc. It takes a minute to figure out but the instructions are simple and straight forward. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, she should regularly connect to her MB for iOS updates anyways. iPhoto on the Mac is how she can sort photos by event or whatever and then sync those changes to the iPad.

Reaction score
Photo issues on ipad

It seemed to me that the iPad was the only computer her mom used since it seemed that it was a gift given to make computer use easy for an older generation. Not all iPad owners own a mac or even a pc, therefore synching to a mac that she doesn't have isn't an option. The app I mentioned allows her to do most of the same things that iPhoto would while she's on the road or anywhere, hence the usefulness of said app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It seemed to me that the iPad was the only computer her mom used since it seemed that it was a gift given to make computer use easy for an older generation. Not all iPad owners own a mac or even a pc, therefore synching to a mac that she doesn't have isn't an option. The app I mentioned allows her to do most of the same things that iPhoto would while she's on the road or anywhere, hence the usefulness of said app.

Maybe I misunderstood because I thought the OP was saying their grandmother had a MacBook too. Maybe not. Whatever. It doesn't matter.

The iPad will not work out of the box until you set it up with a computer, regardless if it is a Windows computer or a Mac. Either way you have to set it up in iTunes before you can do anything with it. So, that is the most concise way to manage photo albums/events on the iPad.

Reaction score
It sounds like the daughter set it up so her mom would then have a user friendly computer for one basic use, photos. The app suggested is an easy way for her to manage her photos without asking for her daughter to come over any time she utilizes her "point and shoot" camera. I think helpful suggestions always *matter* and Mac forum seemed to be a place to find helpful information. That's my reason for participating, hopefully that's what all those engaging in discussion here are attempting...

Reaction score
There is no need to manage so many folders..You can use the third party app named Sortshots.With it you can tag your pics with personalized keywords,ratings etc.also whenever you'll transfer the pics from anywhere like pc,etc. to your ipad the sequence will remain the same.. :)

Reaction score
Re: Creating photo albums in iPad

You could try either of these apps available on the App Store:

Photo Shack Pro is a fantastic new photo management app for the iPad that is the perfect iPad app companion for the professional photographer and photography enthusiast. It allows you to create your own photo libraries on the fly, fill them with the photos you want, drag and drop photos in the order you want, access your photo's embedded detailed photo data, map the location where the photo was taken, flip through or slideshow your photos in full screen, zoom in to full resolution, add titles and comments to your photos, and iTunes transfer selected photos to your desktop or email them.

iAlbum Pro is a Virtual Photo Album for the iPad that looks, feels, and works just like a real photo album, and comes with multiple options for covers, pages, page corners, and photo borders. It includes special photo effects, such as B&W, Sepia Gold, and Sepia Rose, plus you can size, rotate, place, and mask your photos any way you want on any page, including the coverpage! It's a beautiful and intuitive way to showcase your favorite photos in a format that's a pleasure to use.

Both apps allow you to organize your photos on the iPad, without needing the help of a computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.