help restarting

Reaction score
I just replaced a hard drive on my imac and restored from the factory disc leopard 10.5 after two hours the system was restored and told to restart, after restart screen goes to the white screen with the apple to a grey screen with a box that says to hold down power buttun till off and then push power again but it comes back to this screen , does not matter if i take the disc out or not , any ideas i meant to say i retored from time machine not the disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Vernon did you partition the new drive, and under Options select GUID if the iMac is Intel, Apple Partition Map if PowerPC, and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) before the install? It helps if you provide model details.

Suggest using the Leopard disc for install and Time Machine to restore.

OP
V
Reaction score
Vernon did you partition the new drive, and under Options select GUID if the iMac is Intel, Apple Partition Map if PowerPC, and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) before the install? It helps if you provide model details.

Suggest using the Leopard disc for install and Time Machine to restore.
thanks for the info it is a intel cor 2 duo and i did partition but i chose one partition and did format it os extended journal, i tried time machine for a restore but could not tell if it worked if i put the leopard disc in and choose restore entire system it seems to have everything transfered but wont get out of the reboot mode , should i have chosen 2 partitions and if so what size should i make the partitions , sorry i am so ignorant. thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure what you did but this is how you need to get the new hard drive up and running when restoring with Time Machine. If you did it this way, post back and we'll try to figure something out.

First - As harry pointed out, you need to format the hard drive as one partition using HFS Journaled. GUID

Next - Start the install with your Leopard DVD. You should see a dialog box come up and ask you if you wish to restore from backup. Make sure your external hard drive with the latest Time Machine backup is hooked up and ready to go. Select restore from backup. It may take awhile for the backup to complete. After it finishes, reboot. You should be able to boot to the Leopard desktop that you had previously with the old hard drive.

If you did all that correctly, it should work. If you did the above and it still doesn't work, try again. Start over from the beginning.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
ok heres what i did , i just followed your directions to the letter i think, i put in the leopard start up disc chose disk utilities and formatted mac os extended journaled,under option chose guid and made one partition . now here is the part i am not sure of do i use the restore system under disk u. as i have done before or do i install leopard and restore from there . when i first did an install of leopard and tried the restore it said i could not restore because the restore was a newer version of osx than the install disk , my version on backup is 10.6.3 i am in the process of installin the start up disc to try it again will let you know how this works it will take a couple of hours if this works thanks for your help

OP
V
Reaction score
im back

ok after installing the osx on my new hard drive i tried to transfer information from my time machine bacup which is an external hd connected with usb cable after choosing transfer from time machine and choosing all the info to transfer i get the message that i will have to upgrade this version of osx and later use migration assistant , i will try that unless i hear from someone about another way thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.