Start up problem

Reaction score
When starting my Imac I get the white screen with the apple logo then the blue screen where the start up seems to freeze, often going no further. I often have to switch the power off then on again and it seems to start then.

Any ideas what is up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook (2.2 Ghz @ 2GB RAM) 500GB
I used to have a similar problem - but mine would never start up - it would always get up to the blue screen and stop

I called apple and the only thing they could tell me to do was format my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I often have to switch the power off then on again and it seems to start then.

That's not good for it. How old? ...still under warranty?

Better to leave it on until you are able to successfully troubleshoot the problem and eliminate it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No idea right now what the problem is but I would suggest you repair the permissions on your disk with Disk Utility. To do this, go to Disk Utiliity (/Applications/Utilities), click on your HD > First Aid > Repair Disk Permissions. This would be a first good step in fixing your problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for response so far. I've repaired the permissions but the problem still there. A format is looking increasingly likely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about downloading the appropriate combo updater and installing that - worth a shot.

OP
C
Reaction score
How about downloading the appropriate combo updater and installing that - worth a shot.

I'm not too experienced with Macs only been using them less than a year, what is the appropriate combo updater? Using 10.6.3, installed Snow Leopard when I bought the Mac new.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
A little more info: The combo updater will not update to 10.6.4 as it has not been released yet. But, sometimes applying the current updater (10.6.3) even though it isn't new to you will help fix something in the OS.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking about not finding the page I linked to? I just checked it and it loaded fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Are you talking about not finding the page I linked to? I just checked it and it loaded fine.

opened the link in new tab, went to download and get the following...

We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

tried a couple of ways and still get the same when try to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Tried the Link in vansmith post and it was usable for me. What Network service are you on and did you set it up? Have you been able to surf the web?
starting my Imac I get the white screen with the apple logo then the blue screen where the start up seems to freeze
Has it always been like this or has it just started?

OP
C
Reaction score
Downloaded it now, was trying with Safari and wouldn't download, tried Firefox and straight down.

The problem has only recently in the last week or so started, can't understand why?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What have you installed recently? It's possible that a piece of software is causing you problems.

OP
C
Reaction score
downloaded the combo updater software upto date.

Started or restarted 3 out of 4 times this evening, just one restart where I had to use the power off button on the back and start again.

From what I can remember Itunes latest version installed recently.

Also had the following error message since then a couple of times...

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.
If you have Roxio installed, I suggest you take a look at this. Apparently that kext (kernel extension) is part of Roxio (SpinDoctor) and if you have an older version, it may be causing some problems.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have Toast installed. I'll remove it when home and see if that helps. I have read about spin doctor and it being incompatable with latest iTunes or something like that. Thanks.

OP
C
Reaction score
still got the problem, repaired permissions using install disc and disc utility/first aid/repair permissions etc. Did the same as other day from system.

Only one it doesn't repair says...
Warning SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Looks like being a reformat unless some one can come up with an answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.