Flash Player will not update

Reaction score
Done it all. Closed every browser, shut off EVERY application, run uninstall Flash Player, restarted, installed Flash 10, restarted, and I still get the message on Flash sites asking me to upgrade from 9 to 10. When I run Adobe Version Checker it tells me I'm running Flash 9. I have followed all the directions to uninstall and install and nothing works. What to do??
MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8 Intel Core 2 duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Done it all. Closed every browser, shut off EVERY application, run uninstall Flash Player, restarted, installed Flash 10, restarted, and I still get the message on Flash sites asking me to upgrade from 9 to 10. When I run Adobe Version Checker it tells me I'm running Flash 9. I have followed all the directions to uninstall and install and nothing works. What to do??
MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8 Intel Core 2 duo

Do you have admin privileges?

OP
V
Reaction score
The installer tells me the installation was a success but all I get is a message telling me I need Flash 10 when I am on a Flash site like Hulu or ABC.com.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Although it sure sounds like you have an older version, what does this page tell you? It should report back something along the lines of 10,x,x,x (x being different numbers depending on the version). The important part is the ten at the beginning which signifies that you are indeed using version 10. I don't know if this is the same as the "Adobe Version Checker" you noted earlier so I thought I would include it.

Is this problem unique to one browser or all browsers?

If you go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins, right-click "Flash Player.plugin" and click "Get Info", what does it say for version? Mine says "Adobe Flash Player 10.0 r45" for instance. If it isn't v. 10, the installer isn't working properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Is there a chance that you have click2flash installed ? If so then it may very well be a click2flash update that is needed and you can find it here:

ClickToFlash

you want the 16b9 download.

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply.

It's a problem with the two browsers I use, Firefox and Safari.

I do not have click2flash installed. Should I?

The version checker I used is the same one you sent, the one from Adobe and it tells me I have version 9,0,115,0 installed even though I have spent a great deal of time and effort uninstalling and installing 10 in different modes.

In Library, the plug-in Info is Flash Player 9.0

Hmm. Do I chuck out that plug-in and then try reinstalling again? Somewhere along the line there is a disconnect... either with the uninstall or install app. It says the last time it was modified/installed was July 2007. It's call Flash Player 2.plugin and it's "Universal"

Will upgrading to Snow Leopard give me the latest version of Flash and therefore do an end run around this vexing problem?

OP
V
Reaction score
AH HA! I have two flash player plug-ins in the Internet Plug-ins folder...

One is: Flash Player 2.plugin which is the version 9 I mentioned above...

The other: is called Flash Player.plugin and it is version 10 and says it was installed this morning, the last time I tried installing Flash.

So do I yank the Flash Player 2.plugin (version 9) which Adobe Uninstall seems to not be disposing of and see if the system recognizes the newer plug-in?
I'll try it and let you know...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, it seems as if the old version is still there and taking precedence over v.10. Trash the version 9 plugin. If you are feel apprehensive about removing the v.9 plugin, simply move it to the Desktop for now as a way of testing.

OP
V
Reaction score
Fixed!
Pulled the old plug-ins, kept the version 10 plug-in, shut down the browser, opened it and went to Hulu and everything plays.

Of course, Adobe says the only way to fully uninstall older versions of Flash is to use their uninstall app... wrong. I knew I should have done the uninstall myself manually. I found two other old Flash plug-ins in my user library on top of the ones in my HD library.

So, for anyone out there having this pain, go through your Internet Plug-Ins folder and remove any and all plug-ins connected to Flash version 9 keeping the version 10 plug-in.

Good to go.

Thanks Van

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.