Connection Failed (Samba). How to remove this?

Reaction score
Hi,

Everytime I start up my macbook pro, it will display a message.
Connection Failed. (Samba)

It might be that I tried to enter months ago some connection to my QNAP NAS.
But this QNAP NAS is connected via AFP and even timemachine is working fine.
I think I do not need this SAMBA connection anyway.

How to get rid of this connection issue, or how to remove something that my MacBook will not check this connection everytime I boot?

Thanks.

(Search many articles on internet, but did not find anything helpful yet.)

OP
P
Reaction score
Connection failed (at start up) how to remove this??

Hi Forum,

I have a QNAP NAS, that is working fine. My MacPro can reach it without problems, with AFP. In finder I see the NAS appear as: NASBD3B16(AFP).
No issues here.

The issue is:
Always when I boot up I get the following message box:
attachment.php

I think that in the beginning when I was trying to get connections setup to the NAS, I tried something to get it connected. At the time I might also tried something related to connecting to a Windows PC in my network. But I do not recall what and my network or terminal skills are noob like.
So it seems now my MacPro is checking this SAMBA connection everytime I boot?

I checked in accounst and removed anything that does something with starting up. But it did not help in removing this error message.

After searching crazy I am at a point to do a full new install of OS X to get rid of this, but I really hope I can avoid that effort with your help.

Anyone an idea how to solve this or where I need to look?

connection failed.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm unfamiliar with that NAS but I would check its settings to see if it is trying to share files through some other means. Samba shares files through the SMB protocol which is used primarily as a means of sharing files with Windows machines. Check to see if the NAS is set to share files with Windows machines or any other setting that appears to be Windows specific.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply!

The NAS is sharing via AFP(Apple File Protocol), which is working fine. Nothing wrong with the NAS and the Mac finding this Nas, thats all working fine.

My problem is that the Mac, only at boot-up, is looking for the same NAS but than via Samba and can not find it, and provides the error. I want the Mac to not search for this server via Samba.

Where can I make sure the Mac is not searching for this via Samba anymore at boot?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.