• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IBM monitors compatible with mac? please Help!

N

nsiebenmor

I'm am currently in the process of purchasing a Powermac Dual G5 2.0 and a CRT monitor for photo editing. I was about to buy the IBM C220P because of its great reviews and price until I found out that it was only PC compatible. My question is, does anyone think that it will work on a mac. Here are the hookup specs Video - 15 pin Mini D-sub (VGA), Video - 29 pin DVI-I. I guess because I'm new to this I don't understand why it wouldn't. Could someone please help explain this? Here is a link to the monitor http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=32

thanks for any help

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
There's no reason why it wouldn't work. VGA and DVI are both standards that Apple supports since years.
The other way around it would be different. the former Apple Cinema displays (before the Aluminium-ones) had the ADC-connector, which needed a very expensive adapter to connect it to a PC.
But since the Blue&White G3 (and maybe even earlier) Powermacs have at least one VGA output, the newer ones having DVI with a DVItoVGA adaptor.

Your G5 has either 2 DVI-I or 1 DVI-I and 1 ADC-connector, so you will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Avalon said:
Your G5 has either 2 DVI-I or 1 DVI-I and 1 ADC-connector, so you will be fine.
Dont forget the VGA adapter which is what CRTs use

OP
N

nsiebenmor

So what would be the reason then that the specs say it's not mac compatible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
nsiebenmor said:
do you have a link to the monitor and i will tell you most likely it is and it just doesnt say like all the USB mice

OP
N

nsiebenmor

Here is the link to the monitor on the IBM site

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-54141

It only shows it as being compatible on Windows OS.

Also on this link read the 21" section

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/computer-monitor-reviews/

These monitors are on ebay right now for $300.00 new that's why I'm considering one, but if I'm not sure if it will work I'll just buy a 19" Lacie Electron Blue.

I really appreciate the help.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Yes the monitor WILL work that requirements are for the drivers that crappy windows needs cuz they dont have them all like mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
nsiebenmor said:

If they don't say that it's Mac compatible, it doesn't mean that it isn't... :cool:

Lots of PC hardware work without any trouble on Macs, without their manufacturer stating it on the package or their homepage.

You're right about the VGA-adaptor, benjamindaines...I had mentioned that there's a DVItoVGA-adaptor with any newer Macs, and thought it was obvious that this included the G5. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Most of the time when you see something listed as not Mac compatible, they are referring to the included software. Whether it be some quirky "install wizard" or drivers files, the software will only run on Windows. Very rarely is there a piece of hardware that will not function on a Mac.

If you look at the Hardware Requirements on that link you posted, you will find that the Mac is indeed compatible with it...
Hardware compatibility
The IBM ThinkVision C220p 22.0-inch (20.0-inch viewable ) CRT monitor has been tested with IBM PCs and is compatible with systems and graphics adapters which comply with the relevant parts of "VESA and industry standards and guidelines for computer display monitor timing" V1.0 R0.8, adopted September 17, 1998.
The monitor is supplied with a detached video signal cable. This cable has a 15-pin, D-shell video connector and DVI-A connector, allowing connection to system units with either connection type.
Not all supported display modes run at the high refresh rates necessary for flicker-free performance. Display modes at lower refresh rates are available for compatibility with older video adapters and system units and will not be ISO-compliant.

Hardware requirements
The IBM ThinkVision C220p color CRT monitor operates with system units or graphic adapters that generate a video output signal that falls within the specifications:
Parameter Value
Maximum Resolution 2048 x 1536 pels
Maximum Pixel Rate 360Mhz
Horizontal Frequency Range 30 to 130kHz
Vertical Frequency Range 50 to 160Hz

The main reason manufacturers list things as not Mac compatible, is because their techs have no idea how to troubleshoot Macs.

I have a Linksys router, an HP printer, a MS mouse, a Windows keyboard, and an HP scanner. All of these items were listed as "Windows only" or not Macintosh compatible or supported. Each one works just fine on any of my Macs.

Actually, this just reminded me of something that happened at work once. Some guys were trying to get a MS Sidewinder game pad to work on this one guys laptop. The Dell laptop would not recognize the "Plug & Play" gamepad designed for Windows. They tried the thing in no less than 4 other Windows PCs and not a single one recognized it, even after installing and uninstalling and reinstalling driver software for the supposed "Plug & Play" device. They came to the conclusion that the gamepad MUST be defective. I took it, plugged it into my iBook and pulled up the System Profiler. Lo and behold, a MS Sidewinder game controller was listed under the attached USB devices. I fired up THPS4 and played away as they stood there stunned and amazed... :black:

OP
N

nsiebenmor

yeah, but you can't find this montior for under $615 anywhere else plus shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.