HELP ME, PLEASE! 10.5.6 MacBook Kernel Panic.

Reaction score
okay, my mac book 10.5.6. has been a little slow lately. i never noticed anything terribly strange though, except that my youtube wasn't always working. i tried to update my flashplayer and safari but my computer wouldn't let me, but i didn't think much of it. then, on friday, my computer asked if i wanted to update my software, which i did. so suddenly when it was updating the software it said that there was something wrong, and i needed to restart my computer. so i shut it down and started it up manually.
then, when it restarted IT WENT IT TO KERNEL PANIC! i had no idea what to do so i ran an extended hardware test and then it said error 4hdd/11/40000004 : SATA 10,01 . i don't really understand a word of what this means and everytime i switch on my computer now it brings me to the kernel panic thing, which i can't get past. what is wrong with my computer? and how can i fix this?

my computer is only about two years old by the way. please, please, please help me, i spent three weeks on an assignment which is on that laptop!

sorry i put this somewhere else as well, i'm new here and i'm desperate! ):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No need to double post no matter how desperate you are :)

1st things welcome and 2ndly try repairing permissions via Disk Utility. Do that then log out then back in and post back if you still have a problem

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
No need to double post no matter how desperate you are :)

1st things welcome and 2ndly try repairing permissions via Disk Utility. Do that then log out then back in and post back if you still have a problem

Cheers

Okay, thanks for replying!
uhm, how do i open disk utility if i can't even log in to my mac? everytime i switch on the computer it just goes straight to kernel panic, i don't even seen the log in screen. ):
i'm not posting from the faulty computer now, i'm using another one. but all my work is on that computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You will have to do with your install disks that came with the Mac and while boting up hold down the 'c' key. When you get in select your language and then from the installer window, goto Utilitities>Disk Utilities.

Once that has opened select the First Aid tab then in the left column select your HD. You will see the Repair Permissions tab, so click that and sit back and wait until its finished. Then you should shut down then hopefully Start up as normal :)

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
You will have to do with your install disks that came with the Mac and while boting up hold down the 'c' key. When you get in select your language and then from the installer window, goto Utilitities>Disk Utilities.

Once that has opened select the First Aid tab then in the left column select your HD. You will see the Repair Permissions tab, so click that and sit back and wait until its finished. Then you should shut down then hopefully Start up as normal :)

Cheers

thank you! YOU ARE SO AWESOME. :D
i'm going to try it out now, is this a long term solution or just a temporary thing?
and should this still work if i charge my laptop while doing this? because my computer's running out of battery ):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This isnt temporary ... Its doing basically system maintenance .. This is something you can do every cpl of months or so.
Yep power is power so it will be fine.
Post back :)

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
I just went to disk utility and there were three things on the left column one had the icon of a harddisk i think and it says 149.1 GB Hitachi HTS54
the other two have the icon of CDs and one says MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-8667, the other is Mac OS X install Disc 1. i clicked the hitachi one but for some reason the verify disk permissions, repair disk permissions, verify disk and repair disk buttons are all faded and i can't click on any of them. i went to the MASHITA one and only the verify disk permissions button works, it says Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

is my computer totally messed up? anything i can do? i called apple support but they're not picking up

OH SORRY! the mactintosh HD harddrive icon just appeared. i clicked on it and it's repairing permissions now! thanks a lot! hopefully it works now! :)

OP
H
Reaction score
it says the permissions differ on a lot of things and there are a lot of warnings. but permissions repair is complete. do i still start up shut down and restart again?
sorry about the frequent posts, i'm kind of freaking out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
That's what I would try, no harm I doubt, I'm a little bit blurry on your situation now, but I'd recommend backing up if possible.

Reaction score

Cheers

What if my mouse doesn't work and I cant select language?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depending on what Mac you have, but use your *arrow* keys, or *tab* to move and *return* to select .....

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.