• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Poor warranty service (heresy!)

F

fco1922

Has anyone else had a bad experience regarding obtaining warranty service at the Apple store in London? I have a new Powerbook G4 and four weeks after buying it--and while I was on a business trip to Russia--the AC adapter packed up. Apple couldn't do anything about it in Russia, so I actually flew back to London to get it replaced. I went to the Apple store in London and they confirmed that it was faulty--and then said they couldn't do anything as there were no Genius Bar appointments available!! I tried again first thing Friday and still couldn't get an appointment before 6pm, which was no good as I had to fly back to Russia at 5pm. The manager refused to see me and so I had to BUY a new adapter for £55. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous. This isn't what I call good service--the Genius Bar policy seems designed to force you to buy a replacement. I'm VERY disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I've heard various things about Apple Stores.... No personal experience... However, their phone customer service team (at least in the US) has been very good to me on several occasions... Some where I didn't deserve it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Keep your proof of purchase, call the AppleCare line, and try to get your money refunded.

OP
F

fco1922

Warranty service

You are correct: AppleCare service over the phone is excellent. It is the Apple Stores that are appalling. I've written to Apple Corporate Headquarters, as well as their headquarters in Europe (I live in London) and it will be interesting to see what happens.

sarahsboy18 said:
I've heard various things about Apple Stores.... No personal experience... However, their phone customer service team (at least in the US) has been very good to me on several occasions... Some where I didn't deserve it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.