Fresh OS install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Hi guys. I would like to do a clean install of the OS.

I have a gray disc here that came with my imac. It says it is a max OS X Install DVD. I ran it today & it took around 1hour. When it had finished, I stll had items installed that I wanted removed.

Can i format the HDD & install a clean OS from that disc i have?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you did not do a clean install. Boot the machine from your install DVD. After it boots, instead of allowing the installation to proceed, click on the top menu item "Utilities". Then, select "Disk Utility". Highlight the drive (lower entry) and erase the drive. Format it as one partition using HFS extended journaled.

Now you can proceed to install OS X and applications.

Is there any particular reason you wish to do a clean install? It's very rare when this procedure has to be done. This isn't Windows. O:)

Regards.

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thank for the quick reply. My friend installed a naughty program that I dont trust. I want to totally wipe the disk & do a fresh install.

I have done as you have said above BUT the only option I have when I select the drive is "erase free space". "Security Options & "erase disc@ have been grayed out & I cannot select them?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a gray disc here that came with my imac.

Just to be sure...did you buy this iMac new & is this gray disk the disk that came with it?

Because if you purchased this iMac used...this gray disk that came with it may not be the original gray disk that was supposed to come with it. Which might explain why the gray disk isn't working. These gray disks are model specific, and thus only work on the model Mac they originally shipped with.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick.

I purchased the imac refurbished from Apple.

Is there nothing I can do? :Oops:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick.

I purchased the imac refurbished from Apple.

Is there nothing I can do? :Oops:

Ok...thanks for confirming that this is the actual disk that was supposed to come with this computer model.

I guess I'm a little confused as to what your goal is with this OS install. In your original post you said:

"I ran it today & it took around 1hour. When it had finished, I stll had items installed that I wanted removed."

I'm assuming what you are referring to by "I still had items installed that I wanted removed."...is this "naughty" program or programs you said your friend installed.

If this is the case...you should be able to do exactly as "chscag" mentioned above:

- boot from your iMac's DVD disc (hold down the "c" key when booting)
- open "Disk Utility" from the menu at the top of the screen (you have to move your mouse pointer up there to activate the menu...since it may not be visible otherwise)
- reformat the hard drive
- then continue with the OS install

This should take care of the unwanted program or programs...and reinstall your OS.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick, thanks for your help.

Holding down the C key done the trick when booting from the OS disk.

All nice & clean again.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Very much appreciated :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice...congratulations!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.