Powerbook G4 slow, hot, 100% CPU usage

Reaction score
I am running OSX 10.4.11 on a Powerbook G4. For quite some time the computer's been really slow and gets pretty hot, really quickly. I checked out the System Monitor and, just with that application open and Firefox open, I'm at 100% CPU usage. Those two items are the only things that show as using CPU capacity consistently - those and kernel_task, which uses about 5.6%. There are a few things that will show up using like 1% or less, but only for a brief moment.

It's gotten to the point that my computer's so slow that I only use it for web browsing, but even now that seems to be too much for the compy. I can't even watch a 1 minute youtube video. And even when I'm just reading someone's blog, say, the computer gets hot and the fan just constantly whirs.

What I've done so far: I downloaded OnyX and repaired permissions using that as well as Disk Utility. Did a bunch of other cleanup stuff in OnyX. I read somewhere here that updating Flash might help, so I did that as well. After these tasks, I still don't see a difference in my computer's speed or CPU usage. Also, I have 14 GB free space on here - I deleted some huge files, thinking that might help. It didn't.

So if anyone has any advice for me, I'd gladly take it! I really am attached to this little bugger and want to keep it, but if I can't use it...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does this problem seem to be more noticeable when you are viewing web pages with Flash? Flash is notorious for using excessive CPU resources and it would be fair to say that this is the case here if these problems do only seem to crop up when viewing Flash content.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, it definitely stresses the compy when I'm on a page with Flash, but the problem still happens even when I'm on a page without it. There are definitely certain Flash-laden sites I have to avoid because the computer will get SO slow I can't stand it, but I seem to be having the problem regardless.

I mentioned before that the computer's so slow I only use it for web browsing at this point; this is because opening, say, iTunes or especially iPhoto takes ages and the applications are so painfully slooooow I just don't bother with them anymore unless I have to. Those apps do have a lot of content in them, though.

But back to the Flash thing - would it be helpful to get, like, NoScript or something? Anyone had luck with that in a situation similar to mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Two steps to try;
Create a new User and Log in there and check download times and
Connect by Ethernet and check speeds in both Users - might point to troubleshooting area.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea - no dice, though. Same problems with both users. Wat do now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.