My mom put my power supply through the washing machine...?

Reaction score
Don't ask me how this happened - it's a long, terrible story - but my mom put my MacBook power supply through the washing machine. And I'm nervous about plugging it into my computer now, even though (cosmetically) it's 100% unchanged. What should I do? Is there a way to make sure it'll be safe to charge my computer with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Err. I wouldn't try it, I would bet that the main body of the charger will have water in it, and you will most probably get a nasty shock.
Buy a new one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're going to try it:

I wouldn't plug it in for at least a week to let it dry out thoroughly. Maybe stick it in a bowl of rice.

Then plug it in on it's own for a few minutes. See if it heats up without your Mac being connected to it.

I'd go ahead and plan on buying one though.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you're going to try it:

I wouldn't plug it in for at least a week to let it dry out thoroughly. Maybe stick it in a bowl of rice.

Then plug it in on it's own for a few minutes. See if it heats up without your Mac being connected to it.

I'd go ahead and plan on buying one though.

Crap. I was afraid you guys would say that. Ok, can you link me to the supply I need? I've got a black MacBook. I think it's 13.3 in, and I bought it back in the spring of '08.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know that the power adapters case is really not designed to be opened...but the only way of insuring that all water that may have gotten inside is dried up is to open the case.

Once all water is gone...the adapter should still work...unless something was damaged due to "banging" around while in the washing machine.

Have you shaken the power adapters "brick"...can you hear any water sloshing around?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Crap. I was afraid you guys would say that. Ok, can you link me to the supply I need? I've got a black MacBook. I think it's 13.3 in, and I bought it back in the spring of '08.

Apple store, don't go for anything third party. They should be able to give you the right one from the serial number of your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 imac 21.5", 256mb radeon card, etc
are you at a university? high school with a decent science department?

because they probably have desiccators. a tabletop-sized box with some stuff that's like the hulk version of silica gel on speed and will just sop up any moisture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.