Off to college!

Reaction score
Hi all,

For most of my life I have been using a PC and I figuered I might as well give apple a go since I find it easy to use etc...

Now I want my laptop to last me a looonnnggg time.

Should I get the basic macbook?
Basic macbook plus ram upgrade to 4gb?
Or the basic 13in macbook pro?

I was thinking the pro, but I'm not sure.

Should I wait to see if Apple decides to upgrade the mac?

Also, what's the best external HD for a mac?

What's the ipodtouch deal?

What covers are recommended? For the case, keyboard, palm rest, and screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Should I get the basic macbook?
Basic macbook plus ram upgrade to 4gb?
Or the basic 13in macbook pro?

This all depends on your budget, and what you will use it for. For me I would defiantly go with the macbook pro, but then again it depends on your budget and use.

Should I wait to see if Apple decides to upgrade the mac?

Considering there was a very recent update, it will be a while for another update.

Also, what's the best external HD for a mac?

That's a very opinionated question, and depends on what kind your looking for. For me I only buy ones with firewire 800 ports, and my favorites are Western Digital and Iomega.

What's the ipodtouch deal?

What covers are recommended? For the case, keyboard, palm rest, and screen?

The iPod touch deal is that if you buy a computer for college (with the educational discount) you get a free iPod touch, but only during a certain period of time (not going on now). Usually around August/September, and no one knows if it will be back this year, but I assume it will.

For covers, incase sells covers that stay on the computer (plastic hardshell case) which I've used, and they were very good, but I took it off because it makes it thicker and a little heavier as would any hardshell case. I just use the incase neoprene sleeve when i take it around. For a keyboard cover kbcovers has cool keyboard covers that have english/other languages on it (arabic, hebrew, russian, Japanese etc.). I use one with another language on it. It also has key commands for certain programs like photoshop and final cut. These covers are really good, they are really thin and always stay on. They also have regular clear ones or different colors I believe. The website is kbcovers.com.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Go for the Macbook Pro. Aluminum will last longer than plastic.

OP
H
Reaction score
Budget is not a huge problem and at the same time it is.

I want something that will last me through college and then after.

Mostly will use it for regular college stuff.

The reason why I mentioned a mbp was because when I looked for the ram upgrades on the mb, it seemed better to buy the base mbp since it almost came even, but the extra add ons made it better.

I will be backing up on an external HD so thats why I might want firewire...

I sort of have my heart set on the mbp, but I'll get the mb if theres reason to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just be sure to get AppleCare with a laptop. If you're lucky, it will die after 35 months and you'll get a replacement. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.