Software Update Server not responding

Reaction score
Recently installed a new hard drive and am in the process of setting up my internet connection, one problem I am encountering is the inability to use the Software Update Feature.
Error message:

The Software Update Server (192.168.1.12) is not responding.
Check to make sure your network connection is operating normally. If there are no issues with your connection, contact your network administrator for assistance.

The internet is working fine in all other areas, this error occurs wired and wireless.
I am on OS X 10.6.3. Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

OP
C
Reaction score
Answer Found

I found the answer here in the forum

In >Library\Preferences find com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist move it to the desktop, log out of your account then log back in and then run Software Update. If it runs smoothly delete the file you moved onto the desktop.

Thank you Slydude

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ahhh great to see someone doing right and using the search function. Well done coco and great to see you got a out come ...

+1 rep :)

And good to see Slydude had the answer

Reaction score
it didnt work

I had exactly the same problem ,i followed the instructions and it still doesnt work, help....

Reaction score
Software Update update.local not responding

I am having the same issue and have tried restarting my devices, removing the plist, nothing seems to work. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
another suggestion

Ran into this issue after upgrading my macbook from leopard to snow leopard. All of a sudden updates wouldn't run because it couldn't find update.local.

To fix it, I had to delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

from both my local user directory: ~/Library/Preferences

and also the system directory: /Library/Preferences

I also deleted a similar file from ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost and also deleted ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Not sure if those last two were required to fix the problem but I mention because after deleting those 4 files and restarting, SoftwareUpdate began working again.

Hope that helps someone.

Reaction score
Ran into this issue after upgrading my macbook from leopard to snow leopard. All of a sudden updates wouldn't run because it couldn't find update.local.

I also deleted a similar file from ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost and also deleted ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Not sure if those last two were required to fix the problem but I mention because after deleting those 4 files and restarting, SoftwareUpdate began working again.

Hope that helps someone.

thanks for the extra tip. I had to do the same. Deleting only the plist in my user folder was not enough. I had to delete also in Library>Preferences and then restart the computer.

Reaction score
software update fix

Hope that helps someone.

This helped me! Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I'm not a computer person, and I was able to follow your directions. I'm very grateful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.