Late 2009 Macbook Beeps and doesn't start (replaced memory multiple times)

Reaction score
My macbook started refusing to turn on and instead emits loud beeps with a black screen. I read around the internet and saw that this is a memory problem, and I should reinstall the memory to fix it.

I took the memory out and put it back in, but it keeps beeping (this is the memory that came with the machine, so I know it's not bad memory or something like that). After turning it on and off with the beeps 5-10 times, it turns back on like normal. I have taken the memory in and out multiple times now.

What can I do!?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What leads you to believe the memory is good? The only positive way to test memory modules is by substitution with known good ones. You can either try removing one module at a time to see if that helps, or purchase two new modules to replace those in the machine. If it turns out the new modules do not solve the problem, return them for a refund.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My macbook started refusing to turn on and instead emits loud beeps with a black screen. I read around the internet and saw that this is a memory problem, and I should reinstall the memory to fix it.

Maybe you are already aware...but depending on the problem, you will get a different numbers of beeps.

According to these Apple Articles:

Power-On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 1

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2341?viewlocale=en_US

...1, 2, or 3 beeps are ram related. If you're getting more than 3 beeps, it may be something other than ram.

The first linked article is on the older side....the 2nd linked article is much newer. The 3rd linked article is related as well.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
If the memory is bad, will a Mac store replace it for free? I only bought it a little over a month ago and it's the memory that came with it.

I'll check the number of beeps next time. Thankfully it started this time without the beeps.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Now that its working have you clicked on the apple icon on the top left and enter about
this mac then more info then click memory and see if the last part of the line states status ok?

OP
W
Reaction score
scratches evident

Thanks. I checked, and the two memory slots (2GB each) are both "OK".

OP
W
Reaction score
Lately it's not doing the beeping. But, when I try to wake it up from sleep, it stays black and wont wake up, which it used to do before starting to beep. But now, I turn it off and back on, and, without beeping, it fades into where I left off from a white screen with bars slowly filling, rather than starting up from scratch.

This is all what it usually does before and after the beeping, only now no beeping.

But just now the scariest thing ever happened. I heard the strange sounds of mechanical parts moving, so I walked over to my laptop. It started making the sound of a buzzer (EEE, EEE, EEE, EEE) with rapid high pitched beeps at the SAME time. And the screen was frozen and flashing crazy colors. I didn't know the laptop could make so many noises. Why would they even make that possible? It sounded like a bomb was about to go off. I turned it all off and turned it back on. It started up from scratch no problem...

Still haven't heard the beeps again so I can't count them.

OP
W
Reaction score
And the screen just froze five minutes later and flickered lines of strange colors. But I just turned it off and started again no problem.

OP
W
Reaction score
OK, it did it with three beeps, so "no good banks."

This time it never stopped after all my on and off. So, I took out one of the RAM cards and now it turned on no problem.

If the problem is with the memory that came with my computer, and I bought it one month ago, will the replace it free of charge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Your machine is less than a year old and is fully covered by warranty. Rather than guessing at the issue, take it to an Apple store and have them fix or replace it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.