Downloading some programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
Hi! Me again! Still loading the WinXP side of the partition. I wanted to put Gimp on here so I downloaded it about 6 times to get the English version (remember I had to reinstall IE7 And Firefox to the English vers, which went quite well). Every time I dl'd a different ver and made sure it said en somewhere in there, each time I would install, each time when I ran the program, it was in German. So I thought I would fool this computer and fired up my Dell, downloaded Gimp on that computer and installed it, it was in English, great! Or so I thought. Put it on here, and LO!! In German. So I bought ACDSee a few computers ago and installed it. Things are good!

My question: I still have to download and install a couple of programs, like the Adobe Reader. Is there something in the registry or in the default user files that automatically sees some of these programs as German regardless of what versions I download?

Jann:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question: I still have to download and install a couple of programs, like the Adobe Reader. Is there something in the registry or in the default user files that automatically sees some of these programs as German regardless of what versions I download?

Yes and it's almost impossible to find. I had the same problem with XP only it was trying to always switch to an Asian language rather than English. I have several very good registry search programs but still could not find the offending entry.

The problem with digging thru the registry is that there are so many entries referring to language and locale (hundreds) that it can't be isolated. The only sure way is to wipe the registry and reinstall XP.

Sorry, I just don't have a better solution. :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
Languages

Let me tell you something I ran into a couple months ago. My daughter's boyfriend traded a very nice laptop for some car or other. He couldn't boot in because it kept saying to put in the MS key and the one on the bottom wasn't right. He gave it to me to figure out. I got in there and knew the only thing he could do was buy a legal copy of Win7 and let me wipe the hdd. But I did a little looking around. First thing I discovered was that the buy he bought it from had left a CD in, he didn't know it. When I looked at it, it had a bunch of warez junk on it, specifically one to install WinVista or something (I'm old, I forget).

I decided to do a system cleanout. The one that you do on boot up. EVERYTHING was in Swedish! The guy had dl'd the OS from some warez site in Sweden! But everything INSIDE the OS was in English. Only the internal DOS was in Swedish. If that makes any sense to you. I know I may not be explaining it right. I have never encountered anything like that!!

He got aggravated at what I was telling him and said he had a friend who could fix it. HA! It is still a mess. But I am done with it!

Now, the guy who sent me this Mac Mini installed WinXP. A legal copy, of course. I have run a clean disk yet to see what that language is. I do know he had a German copy of XP on it before he put this one on.

Gonna have some fun now. I am going to try to install Office 2000, my ALL TIME favorite Office, not buggy!

Thanks for answering! I will let you know down the road if I figure it all out!!
Oh, before I forget: I am not getting an image for verification until AFTER I hit Submit Reply, then it redirects back to here so I can put the letters in. Glitch? Or me?

Jann:Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for answering! I will let you know down the road if I figure it all out!! Oh, before I forget: I am not getting an image for verification until AFTER I hit Submit Reply, then it redirects back to here so I can put the letters in. Glitch? Or me?

It's OK. That's the way it's supposed to work. You can normally edit your own messages even after having sent it several minutes ago. It will then ask you the reason for edit. What you're seeing is normal.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you!! I do use download.com and completely trust what I get from there. Gonna post new thread here in a sec about the MacOS side of this machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.