Mac OS 10.2 On G3 Powerbook "Wallstreet" issues

Reaction score
Hey guys Im not new to mac but on this older model which is the g3 powerbook 233 mhz with 192 mb of ram and 10gb drive. Im trying to install OS 10.2 but when i try to install it from the disc everything works fine but then when it tells me to choose destination drive there is no hard drive shown to install on. Its just blank. The drive shows up in disk utility and it was running fine with os 9 but now it has been formatted after several attempts to install OSX. If anyone can provide the instruction on how to install OSX on this model I would really appreciate it. On another note when it boots from the disc into OSX installer the screen backlight goes out but works fine with OS9. Anyone know why this might be? thanks

Oscar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Mactracker informs us that OS 10.2.8 is the maximum that can be run on a G3 Wallstreet, but quite honestly, you're pushing the lucky barrow to its limit.

Firstly, there's insufficient RAM to do anything but stutter along on OS X. Although Apple stipulated 196 as the maximum, that PBk will accept 512, and I'd suggest that as a minimum, even for OS 10.2.

The 10 Gb hard drive - Mactracker gives no options for upgrading from the original 2 Gb hard drive, so I wonder if that is the problem. However, OS 9 didn't appear to mind, but then it works better on small (ie. < 80 Gb) drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
do you know if this powerbook has ever had os x on it? Maybe try updating the firmware.
I know with these older macs you have to up date the firmware so they can install and run any form of os x. Here's a link to apple's support page for older powerbooks. You'll have to find which one is yours and/or search for the firmware.

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/legacy/

Everymac.com and lowendmac.com are great resources for dealing with older macs.

good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Good point about the firmware update, but Mactracker says there is none.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
"Good point about the firmware update, but Mactracker says there is none."

You're right. Didn't even see that. This is what low end mac has to say:

PowerBook G3 Series (WallStreet)

Maybe it's a matter of partitioning? That's what I'd try next. Older macs can be very strange from what I've read. I've never dealt with one and don't think I ever will. Still have no idea why the backlight would go out during install.

Strange. I wish you luck with this though. It sounds like it's going to be a challenge. Search low end mac and use google. Hopefully someone will come a long with a solution, but that's a long shot.

Oh and I guess an obvious question would be, are you sure you are using the original 10.2 disc? not a machine specific one? If there is such a thing. Anything before 10.3 is out of my range, but I read a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.