Macbook Artifacts

Reaction score
I have a Macbook White that I purchased in mid-2008. The Graphics Processor is the GMA X31000.
My issue is that I constantly get what appear to be artifacts on my screen. The location seems to be completely random, I currently have what appears to be the bottom right corner of a youtube video player in my status bar. This seems to happen when I'm using my browser, I have tried using Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Opera. All have given me the same issue. I am currently running OS 10.6.3 and the Flash Player "Gala" beta. Could this just be a bug in the beta Flash Player? I have noticed artifacts after loading pages that, as far as I know, don't have flash.
My main concern is that the graphics chipset is about to die.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't heard of any problems with the Intel GMA X3100. It's actually a good integrated chipset that does fine in most situations. It's certainly not a gaming GPU but seems to hold its own with lower level games.

If you're getting the same screen errors when not running Flash, that would probably eliminate any interference by Flash. If you have an external monitor or a late model LCD TV, you can attach it to your MacBook and turn on mirror mode. If the same thing happens on the external, then it might be graphics related. If it doesn't happen, you need to look elsewhere. Might even be the display itself.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does look like the problem may be with the GPU. Since it's integrated and soldered to the logic board, that would mean a logic board swap out. Very expensive repair. Is your MacBook covered by Apple care?

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Nope, my Applecare was voided due to my nieces throwing it off a table. I guess I'll start setting aside money for a new Macbook and wait for this one to die.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I recently picked up a 1.83Ghz CoreDuo Macbook Pro that had the exact same problem, Even after a fresh install of Leopard it didn't go away. I assumed it was hardware related.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.