Screen randomly starts to slowly turn white

Reaction score
Lately I've been experiencing this problem with my MacBook and I was hoping someone here could help me out. Like the title of the thread says, the screen just randomly starts to slowly turn white. It only seems to happen when the screen is open at certain angles and when it does happen all I have to do is tilt the screen back a little and it goes back to normal. However, I'm still worried because I don't know why it's doing this all of a sudden and I don't want it to get worse...

Below are pics of what it looks like.

Normal:
11twf49.jpg

***?!:
dxl5y.jpg

If I haven't described anything clear enough feel free to ask.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From your description of the problem, it might be the video cable that's binding or loose. Tilting can change the tension and thus either partially disconnect it or reseat it depending on the direction of the tilt.

Is your MacBook still under warranty or Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with the genius bar and have them look at it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Mid-2015.
My old imac g4, the one that looked like a lamp did this. It turned green over time. I bought the applecare right before my alotted time expired, apple replaced the cable from the video out to the screen. Never did it again.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, unfortunately I don't think it's under warranty anymore but I'll see what they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Have you taken it apart/replaced the screen before? My white '07 MB did something similar, only it was the backlight that would quit. I'd say chscag is right on with his diagnosis. Even if it's not under Apple Care, most of the screen connection parts can be had fairly inexpensively. ifixit has tutorials for installing it yourself (as well as everything else you would ever want to do to your Mac's insides).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.