Imac/Shaw Cable/169 IP address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac, 10.4.11, Intel 2 Duo
Ok, this has been going on for four months now, I have had help from all directions, to no avail. My IMac (Tiger 10.4.11) is kicking out a self-assigned 169 IP address with all Shaw cable modems I have tried. No network, no router. It works fine at other locations and with ADSL modems. My brothers PC and roommates Mac book both work fine.

I have erased and re-installed and upgraded my OS, to no avail. I have traded out all cables and had Shaw service calls. I have taken my comp to a Mac service center and he could find nothing wrong with it.

For a while, after the modem power cycled it would kick out a 192 IP address for a couple minutes then revert back to the 169.

Airport/bluetooth are disabled, built in ethernet is the only configuration selected and everything is set to automatic

Apple help was unable to figure out the problem with phone techs basically asking me to let them know if I figure it out because they don't have a solution.

Please can anyone help? I am getting frustrated with my very expensive paper weight so suggesstions and info of any kind are welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.