• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft to adopt H.264-Based HTLM5 Video in IE9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Does this mean MS will get rid of their silverlight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Maybe HTML5 is the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Does this mean MS will get rid of their silverlight?

Doubtful, at least not anytime in the near future. They aren't going solely to HTML5, just offering support for it (as well as many other codecs).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Adobe just refuses to admit the problems they have with Flash and it doesn't seem they are willing to adapt and change to the emerging new technologies. Instead they just seem to like to complain when others point out their flaws.

Adobe has enjoyed the lack of competition for too long and they are mad that something else might lessen their dominance. IMO Flash on Windows wasn't that great either. The Mac version just sucked more. Hopefully Flash will go away quicker now that IE is also supporting HTML5.

Reaction score
Adobe just refuses to admit the problems they have with Flash and it doesn't seem they are willing to adapt and change to the emerging new technologies. Instead they just seem to like to complain when others point out their flaws.

Adobe has enjoyed the lack of competition for too long and they are mad that something else might lessen their dominance. IMO Flash on Windows wasn't that great either. The Mac version just sucked more. Hopefully Flash will go away quicker now that IE is also supporting HTML5.

I hated flash too on Windows. Of all the viruses that I obtained over the last 5 years on a Windows computer (XP), flash is the one major cause that infected my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To me Silverlight = Flash. Both plugin based proprietary codecs that are bloated cpu hogs. I think MS just wants to see flash die. So later on they can make their silerlight bigger. When MS solely adoptes open sourse things like html 5 then I'll say this is a good move.

But until then it's just MS saying we will support html 5 for those who love it but we love our silerlight more.

Reaction score
news on the web

There is talk on the web that Apple and Microsoft are members of MPEG LA, the firm that is a patent pool. They are the ones who are licensing H.264 technology.

So it seems that what ever royalties MPEG LA collects, it will be distributed among all the patent holders of H.264, and that includes Apple and Microsoft.

So Apple and Microsoft customers will never have to pay royalties as they are members of MPEG LA.

Here is the list of patent holders
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc/Documents/avc-att1.pdf

And here is where I read this news,
Web video gets H.264 royalty reprieve | Deep Tech - CNET News

All this talk of H.264 is looking suspicious to me now.

Reaction score
HTML5 ftw.

No really, I'm excited about it. So far what I've seen has been rather buggy, but who knows what the future holds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
html5 really isn't the panacea that it's being made out to be at the current time. It's two years from draft stage, in isn't scheduled to be finished until 2022. In the current scheme of things, flash is still much better than html5 in many applications, and by this I mean less processor intensive when doing the same jobs.

All rhetoric out of Cupertino aside, you still need to support Flash right now to really have full featured web access. Yeah, the future will support more stuff, etc, but right now, there is a lot that you can't do on your iPad or iPhone because of lack of Flash support. And Apple sounding off about closed and proprietary standards is pretty ****ed disingenuous when you look at the way they do things.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Scribd looks pretty good on the iPad.

Here's their sample on my Mac in:

Safari:
20100506-1c7i5icm6cedspdt18xscscm.jpg

Opera:
20100506-egcnj3x54rfgrd2qcu29t3a7db.jpg

and Firefox gets it right:
20100506-ceigxufie83qjdymj2ic6pdrep.jpg

Looks like it may be more important than ever to have multiple browsers on hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed Bob. We all still need the 3 big (and best in my opinion) of browsers you mentioned for little situations just like the one you said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.