iPad keyboard arrow key??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone, g4 PowerBook, ipad
I am relatively new to iPhone/iPad...but not to Mac including a long history with newtons.

I don't understand why there aren't some basic items like arrow keys...and a forward delete. One thing i loved about the newton was how it could be tweaked. I am not suggesting anything unethical or against apple here...because there isn't even an option outside of apple. Iow, why can't the keyboard be easily modified? By anybody?

I find typing very easy on the iPad...but mistakes are made...and trying to correct those mistakes could be SOOOOOOO much easier with three little keys...arrow left, right and forward delete?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree the lack of arrow keys on the ipad is something I really do not like. But I'm sure there is an easy way to edit your text without them I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
The lack of arrow keys is my biggest problem with input on the iPad. Instead of two huge ".?123" buttons, one of those could be turned into a set of small arrow keys....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I would imaging that something like the addition of arrow keys could be implemented on a future update, which I would REALLY want…though I'm not sure if it is really that necessary when your finger is already so close to the screen area you would want the arrow to move to. The next button advances the cursor to the next button, so I'm not exactly sure how much side-to-side movement it would help, but I can see how moving up and down could greatly be improved by up and down keys.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
side-to-side movement it would help, but I can see how moving up and down could greatly be improved by up and down keys.

See...this is why I think apple doesn't give us arrow keys...they don't see the need. But I don't see how they couldnt.

Like, I want to edit the word couldn't in the previous sentence. Because it is at the end of the sentence, however incorrect it is, I couldn't get the ' to go automatically. Hold the finger to bring up the magnifier is ok...but invariably about 40% of the time it lands a letter two off..such that a simple arrow key,..or a forward delete when I wanted it at the end of the word to backup..but the cursor lands in the wrong place. And I end up having to frequently delete and retype when an arrow key would solve a heck of a lot of problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try editing a long post in the message box here and you'll really find the need for arrow keys. This to me is a big issue and the lack is extremely short-sighted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Try editing a long post in the message box here and you'll really find the need for arrow keys. This to me is a big issue and the lack is extremely short-sighted.

I have! I can't imagine how having arrow keys would make the job quicker or more easier, when you can already just point to where you to the cursor to be, or what you want to edit. What's funny is that before the ipad or other touch screen computers came out, I would always wished I could just point with my finger wherever ever I wanted to change something…just like how it is now when you edit/write something on the ipad.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have! I can't imagine how having arrow keys would make the job quicker or more easier, when you can already just point to where you to the cursor to be, or what you want to edit. What's funny is that before the ipad or other touch screen computers came out, I would always wished I could just point with my finger wherever ever I wanted to change something…just like how it is now when you edit/write something on the ipad.

That's just it. You can't just point to where you want the cursor if the post is longer than the height of the message box. The message box is not resizable on the iPad as it is in OS X. So, if the beginnning or end of your post is not inside the message box, there is no "just point".

You have to bring up the magnifier, move it to the top or bottom edge of the message box and then sit there and wait as it slowly crawls to the point you want to edit. Or you can two finger tap and scroll in the box - very hard to do even once you've learned how.

Try a copy and paste of a whole page of text from another document into the message box. You'll now be at the end of the text. Just try getting back to the first line to edit it. Or just try going in and editing your post above. Copy and paste that paragraph into it 5 times. Now try scrolling back up to the first paragraph.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have! I can't imagine how having arrow keys would make the job quicker or more easier, when you can already just point to where you to the cursor to be, or what you want to edit.

No disrespect, really, but I to wonder how much you have been typing on the iPad. Perhaps you are a perfect typist and a) don't make mistakes and b) have perfect spelling. I am a bad speller...and tend to make a lot of mistakes or change my mind about word choices, etc.

In the past 3 weeks, I have used the iPad almost exclusively, writing all emails, forum postings (except this post), letters of recommendations, note taking and transcribing, entering grades...point is...lots of stuff. Sometimes, pointing where you want the cursor to go hits the right spot. But, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't, trying to get the cursor over one letter is a PITA. In fact, it usually proves to be faster to relocate the cursor to a completely different place and trying again at the desired place.

Clicking, pulling up the magnifier, and sliding into the right place usually does a pretty good job of intercepting a light shift on removal and still locks the cursor where you intended. The problem is that it usually locks it at the beginning of the word. So, if you were trying to put the cursor at a different place than it THINKS you should want, it chokes on you and keeps putting the cursor where it thinks you should want it.

Here is an example. I am having a bad habit when typing in portrait mode of not successfully hitting the space bar such that I get a lot of words that are run together. iPad does a pretty good job of separating two words that are accidentally stuck together...but fails (like other programs) if you run three or more words together. I have looked up to find 4-5 words all stuck together. Strangely, doesn't happen as often when in landscape mode even when given the same angle of hands-to-screen. Anyway, trying to place the cursor in a combined word is a real PITA because iPad's intuition goes to STHI.

OTH, maybe it is just me...but fortunately, at least a couple of other people have chimed in agreement. Personally, I don't understand why Apple hasn't fixed such a glaring oversight. And, more importantly, why NOBODY has made an APP FOR THIS!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No disrespect, really, but I to wonder how much you have been typing on the iPad. Perhaps you are a perfect typist and a) don't make mistakes and b) have perfect spelling. I am a bad speller...and tend to make a lot of mistakes or change my mind about word choices, etc.

In the past 3 weeks, I have used the iPad almost exclusively, writing all emails, forum postings (except this post), letters of recommendations, note taking and transcribing, entering grades...point is...lots of stuff. Sometimes, pointing where you want the cursor to go hits the right spot. But, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't, trying to get the cursor over one letter is a PITA. In fact, it usually proves to be faster to relocate the cursor to a completely different place and trying again at the desired place.

Clicking, pulling up the magnifier, and sliding into the right place usually does a pretty good job of intercepting a light shift on removal and still locks the cursor where you intended. The problem is that it usually locks it at the beginning of the word. So, if you were trying to put the cursor at a different place than it THINKS you should want, it chokes on you and keeps putting the cursor where it thinks you should want it.

Here is an example. I am having a bad habit when typing in portrait mode of not successfully hitting the space bar such that I get a lot of words that are run together. iPad does a pretty good job of separating two words that are accidentally stuck together...but fails (like other programs) if you run three or more words together. I have looked up to find 4-5 words all stuck together. Strangely, doesn't happen as often when in landscape mode even when given the same angle of hands-to-screen. Anyway, trying to place the cursor in a combined word is a real PITA because iPad's intuition goes to STHI.

OTH, maybe it is just me...but fortunately, at least a couple of other people have chimed in agreement. Personally, I don't understand why Apple hasn't fixed such a glaring oversight. And, more importantly, why NOBODY has made an APP FOR THIS!!!

Seriously! Do you take the time to read comments on here? The whole first paragraph wouldn't have been needed! I am in agreement with it too!!!

You seem to have a problem hitting keys(as you mention)…how is adding more keys going to help that???? Take your time while typing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
If you could really just point and the cursor would be where you want, that would be great. But as others have noted, if where you want in the document is off screen, it is a major PITA. There is no doubt that for most people at least, arrow keys would be an improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
For editing words in the screen the magnifying glass works great for me. However, when trying to scroll up and down in the message box when the message feels the screen......what a headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I suppose you know about the arrow keys on the keyboard dock?

The fact that Apple included them (and made them work with modifier keys as expected) sort of validates the point that they are very useful to have while typing on a real keyboard - so why not include them on the virtual keyboard as well?

I guess Apple chose to make the rest of the virtual keys as large as possible instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Well I get wanting to make the letter keyboard as big as possible given the limited real-estate but then put the arrows on a secondary keyboard that can be accessed with a single click from the qwerty keyboard.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose you know about the arrow keys on the keyboard dock?

The fact that Apple included them (and made them work with modifier keys as expected) sort of validates the point that they are very useful to have while typing on a real keyboard - so why not include them on the virtual keyboard as well?

I guess Apple chose to make the rest of the virtual keys as large as possible instead.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in the keyboard dock, since I'm sitting or semi-lying down in my recliner, in bed, on the couch, etc. with it most of the time. Missing those arrow keys sure has me considering very hard purchasing the bluetooth keyboard for it though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so why not include them on the virtual keyboard as well?

I just wish they would let us have more control over things like this. They did with the Newton. Why keep developers from writing good keyboard accessories? I know, I know...got to keep it stable.

That's why I don't get that there isn't even anything in the OTHER App store. Apple must have REALLY made it difficult to modify the keyboard layout.

But it can't be impossible because some programs include a .com in the virtual keyboard...so what aren't there options to the standard Apple Virtual Keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.