'Mac Pro- Dual-Core Intel Xeon' Help

Reaction score
Hey,

My name is Josh. I'm a college student majoring in Graphic Design and I'm looking to possibly upgrade my current computer situation.

I'm not 100% sure the year of my computer, but I believe it is 2006 or 2007.

I have a Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon and these are the specs. I am aware of. If this is not enough information for you to make a quality response, just ask specifically what I should add. (it has a 23" flat screen)

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system): G870208BUPZ
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F205D9C8

My question is, I am really interested in minimizing the size of my computer to a Laptop, specifically a Macbook Pro. I wanted to know if a standard model MacBook Pro of this year (2.4 GHz. Intel Core i5, 15") would be worth getting or would it be in my best interest to stay with what I have.

If you believe I should upgrade, what do you believe is a good selling price for my current Mac Pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I totally understand wanting to downsize your computer system from the Mac Pro to a laptop. You mentioned being interested in the MacBook Pro i5 15" 2.4ghz.

You really haven't told us anything about your computing needs...so it's tough to know if this laptop is for you. Basically...if you can afford it...get it.

As far as the value of your Mac Pro...check this out:

Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac

Hope this helps,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads and deleted duplicate posts.

OP
I
Reaction score
I totally understand wanting to downsize your computer system from the Mac Pro to a laptop. You mentioned being interested in the MacBook Pro i5 15" 2.4ghz.

You really haven't told us anything about your computing needs...so it's tough to know if this laptop is for you. Basically...if you can afford it...get it.

As far as the value of your Mac Pro...check this out:

Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Thanks so much for the link. I was expecting it to be worth around $900. I wonder how much the 23" Display is.

As for what I use my computer for, mostly everyday college activities such as writing papers and web surfing.

I also use the Adobe Suite, specifically Photoshop and After Effects.
I also use Final Cut, Flash, and dabble in Programming.

As a art Major I use many programs involving various digital media.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have that exact same Mac Pro 1.1. In late 2008 I bought a 2008 MacBook Pro though I still have the Desktop. So far the notebook has done everything I have asked o fit.

I suspect I don't do quite as much of the Adobe stuff as you do but what I have tried has worked nicely. I did attach a 24 inch monitor and use it as the main screen. The laptop screen holds things like PS palettes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that exact same Mac Pro 1.1. In late 2008 I bought a 2008 Mac Pro though I still have the Desktop. So far the notebook has done everything I have asked o fit.

I'm a little bit confused. You mentioned "Mac Pro" twice in your posting. One of the "Mac Pro's" sounds like a desktop computer...and the other "2008 Mac Pro" sounds like a laptop computer.

If this is correct...then the laptop computer is most likely a MacBook Pro. This could be very confusing if someone was to read this thread 6-12 months from now.;)

Just trying to help,

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Oops. Thanks for catching that error. I missed it when I proofread the post. Chalk it up to iPad excitement. The problem has no been corrected.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops. Thanks for catching that error. I missed it when I proofread the post. Chalk it up to iPad excitement. The problem has no been corrected.

No problamo!;) Other folks catch my errors when I make them!:Oops:

OP
I
Reaction score
on minn

What about the performance of my current desktop? Is the current laptops more efficient? Or am I just spoiled by the performance of my current Mac Pro?

I'm looking at current laptops (April 2010) and Laptops from last year.

I want to decrease the size of my computer along with possibly increasing the performance. I don't understand the meaning of multiple cores, etc. in my current Desktop in comparison to a laptop.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.