Will Windows-only printer work on Mac via Fusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I have an HP Laserjet Printer 1018 which does not have any Mac drivers but I can't afford to replace it just now. So, if I need to print, I have the tedious job of booting out of Snow Leopard into Bootcamp and XP. I have free access to VMWare Fusion 2 (legally) and my question is whether the printer will run via XP on Fusion if it has no Mac drivers and, if so, how that would be accomplished.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
do you have the drivers for the printer still ? it'll work with vmware fusion just like everything else :)

EDIT: if you have some time to kill you can try this as well - http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/INSTALL.osx (this is the method used to get your printer to work on OSX)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
It doesn't appear to work even using up to date drivers and I'm wondering if printers still have to be Mac compatible to be usable within Fusion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The driver DRMac recommended should have worked. It specifically states that it's for the 1018. However, I suspect you have not gone through all the necessary steps to get the foomatic to work. Go to the following web site and read up on what you need to download. You need more than just that driver.

LINK

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks but I really don't want to mess with the complexity of trying to get the printer to work within Snow Leopard. I would just be happy if it worked in Fusion but it doesn't and I would like to know how.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 1018 may work in Fusion if you first install the VMWare guest tools. I'm not sure if it has to be Mac compatible or not. I do remember when I ran Fusion 2 the guest tools drivers for video, sound, hard drive, airport, seemed to work without a problem. My HP 1012 worked OK from Fusion but it also worked from OS X since it had drivers. (I used the same drivers I recommended to you.) I have since removed Fusion 2 and now run Windows 7 from Boot Camp.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.