Sync vs. backup...different iTunes computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone, g4 PowerBook, ipad
I have been so busy using my iPad every day, my laptop has revolted against me and just up and died. It was where the iPad sync resided. I was preparing my iPad to be exchanged (hopefully) for the 3g version later tonight just to find that the laptop was in fact dead. All efforts to bring it back to life failed...and three hours later I determined per the HP website that my model HAD a service issue and the mb could have been replaced...but it is now expired.

Anyway, point is, the place where my sync was is dead beyond hope. So, I have just installed iTunes on my desktop. I have selected the backup option. There does appear an option to restore. But will this do what I want it to do when I get home with the new iPad 3g? Will I be able to restore back to the new iPad and have it right where I left off?

If not, what about Sync? When I click the option to Sync apps, it gives me a warning that the apps on the computer will replace the apps on the iPad. That doesn't sound like it is going to do what I want it to do. Also, although it is no big deal, I have one authorized DVD, that was on the laptop. It is also giving me a warning.

When I got home with the Wifi pad, I was able to sync to the laptop the first time and it started with an iPhone sync and copied over a lot of stuff...but not everything.

So, is there anyway I can back up or sync my iPad to this desktop and use it to start with the new one?

Thanks!!

Drew -- Drew Loker Photography - About Me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.