Router question/advice

Reaction score
I was at the Apple store yesterday, checking prices and am planning to pick up a Mbp13. I'd like to upgrade my router at the same time. I'm currently running a WRT54G.

I was thinking of the Airport Express but am now looking at the Dlink DIR 615 or DIR 601.

I've got a pc laptop, a wired desktop and will be adding the mbp. I found out at the Apple store that the Airport express doesn't have ports to plug in the desktop.

I would like to have a USB hard drive on the network for backups which would make the Airport Express a good candidate.

Many people have recommended the Airport Extreme but I'd like to keep the cost as far below $100 as possible.

Any advice would be great, there are so many choices when it comes to routers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'd stick with D Link. Many of us here use them (I have a 615 myself) and they are eminently reliable, and very easy to set up.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did some more research and have decided on the Dlink DIR 655. I chose this because of the usb port to connect an external hard drive and printer.

OP
T
Reaction score
D-link DIR 655

I did some more research and have decided on the Dlink DIR 655. I chose this because of the usb port to connect an external hard drive and printer. Reviews seem pretty good.

Any advice about setup or honest opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are many here at Mac Forums who own the DLink DIR-655. All seem to love it. I will let them chime in but I have heard nothing but excellent reports on the DIR-655.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Cool. Good choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Here's another vote for the DIR-655. I have one in my apartment and I also have one installed back at my house for my family. They have many, many devices hooked up to theirs, both physically and wirelessly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged Duplicate Threads

There are several of us that have owned that router going on 3 years now. I'd say it's been the best I've owned over the last dozen years. It's the first one that has lasted 2 years without me deciding it was time to upgrade.

Have not connected anything to the USB port on it. My printer is connected to it via ethernet.

My network here is a little extensive for most folks homes. Directly connected is an XP box, a Win Home Server box, printer and a Time Capsule 100' away. Connected to the Time Capsule is a B-R player, HD-DVD player, Win 7 HTPC and my satellite dish. The D-Link has a combo 'g/n' network for the iPhones and a PS3. The Time capsule runs a 'n' only network for my Macs and IPad. The D-Link handles all DHCP services. While the two wifi networks set up at opposite ends of the house allow me to roam anywhere around the house, inside or out. It's been easy to setup and maintain with only minimal knowledge of routers. I've also never had to reset the router because of an issue with the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.