iPad and Grad School

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello all,

I am contemplating buying an iPad (read: I will be buying an iPad soon ;D). I am also gonna be going back to school for my Master's Degree (I might even press on and go for my PhD).

Anyone here has been using their iPad for school purposes. I am more interested in using it as a Text Book replacement/sidekick.

How are the faculty handling having the iPad in class. Granted that might vary from one major to the next, I will be in the Electrical Engineering Department. So partially I guess laptops are usually fine since there will be a lot of coding involved (not necessarily while you are in class).

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have written 2 reports(8 pages each), and take notes constantly with it…all while listening to music(as long as it's not just a speech lecture)! It works pretty dang well considering it's smaller than a notepad and saves me from bringing my mbp.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 reports at 8 pages each on the iPad's virtual keyboard? or do you have BT Keyboard?

Either way thats pretty comforting to hear.

What about books? Text Books that is :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Though I do have the BT keyboard, I was actually at my schools library(need reference books for paper) so I didn't have the keyboard with me. I just turned it on landscape mode and typed away! You will be surprised how fast you can type on it after you get used to it. As for books, my liberian actually noticed me working on my ipad and stopped by to take a look at it. She said that there is so much stress on book publishers to write their books in digital formats that they believe the whole US's school systems will have a new standard of digital books/ebooks within 5 years.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats great!

I finally got to play one at the Apple Store last weekend and I loved it. The Virtual KB is pretty impressively big, but I felt like there will be a bit of a learning curve, which I guess is expected.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.