A little Portfolio Fun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I realize this isn't really what this forum is for, but I'm applying to the Creative Arts Program at my high school, and I felt like sharing my portfolio as it stands. This is almost all of it, excluding a few film prints that didn't take well to scanning.

Enjoy, and please critique!!!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
That looks pretty good overall; since you want critique, though, I might as well give my opinion. I'd say the quality starts to degrade about halfway through the set. Do you have to have a certain number of images? If not, I'd maybe cut it down to a dozen or so. Just be very selective.

First up, I like the the first picture. My only complaint is that the man is quite small in the scene; if he's the subject, I'd prefer less sky. As it stands, he sort of appeared to me as a surprise—not necessarily a bad thing if it was intentional.

I also like the sign one—how often people ignore signs and others asking for attention.

The beach picture with footprints isn't bad as a water/sky photo, but the footprints seem misleading. In my brain, the footprints should connect with the people on the rocks toward the back of the photo, but they seem to be disjointed.

Next up is the log picture: the slanted horizon makes me dizzy. Because of gravity, it looks like the log should be rolling down the slope, but it's not. Also, the can steals my eyes about halfway into following the length of the log.

The rope picture is interesting. I can see why you'd have wanted to take it, but it's very visually confusing to me.

This one is sort of boring. There's really no subject here besides the perspective of the barrier.

As for the frame-inside-a-frame picture, there are too many intersecting lines at odd angles to be visually pleasing.

And that's about it for ones that stuck out to me. If you want a few more tips from a pro photographer, check out this post from Scott Bourne: Seven Tips for Building a Portfolio. Granted, you're not trying to make a living from this portfolio, but it wouldn't hurt to read it. Also, keep in mind that any of the things I said above can be disregarded if you have a specific reason for doing so; just don't let issues into your images by accident, and you'll be okay.

Having said all that, you should be fine. Good luck! Oh, and if you're interested, Michael Freeman wrote a book on composition that I highly recommend. It'll make you ponder a lot of things that are normally intuitive and hopefully give you a new (and improved) perspective for your photography.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ya know... the funny thing about critiquing someone else's 'work', is that it's only ever useful if the artist is asking whether or not something very specific has been presented in the fashion of which it was intended. Otherwise, I prescribe to the notion that all other critiques are opinions which are evoked by a very personal and emotional response. Otherwise, if it's not personal, then the 'critique' holds little other value, which only serves as a sort of background filler. Kind of like how I feel about Coldplay... their music is alright if it's not given too much attention, and is being played in Barnes and Noble's while I'm busy doing something. But don't ever ask me to critique their top 40 drivel...

(And no. I'm not comparing your work to drivel or Coldplay.. lol)

My point here I guess, is that as much as we tell you how nice your work is, the unfortunate part is that the board of that school are the ones that have to make a connection with it, and no amount of advice given here will ever change that. Heck... it could be Ansel Adams asking the question here instead of you, and I'd be saying the same thing to him.

Is there a certain set of criteria which they follow at that school ? Examples to go by ? I think it's awesome that you're going for this by the way... And to be honest, see no reason as to why you wouldn't be accepted into this program. Not everybody has the heart or soul or passion to try and express themselves in such a manner. That alone should tell the board that you're a great candidate.

Have some confidence. And good luck !

Doug

OP
Corbab
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Thanks for all the comments and support! I know my question was a bit general, but I really appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping to get everything in order and have my portfolio review sometime in the next few weeks.

P.S. - Sorry I put these up here in sort of an awkward fashion; I can't post more than 10 pictures at a time for some reason. :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.