Audio/Music Recording software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
Hey Folks,

I do realise i'm being quite vague, but I really would love to record some tracks into my Macbook (looking to upgrade to Snow Leopard soon)
Spec:
It's currently running version: 10.4.11
Processor: 2GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667MHz SDRAM
HDD: 74.53 GB

Also any other equipment you can recommend for this would be great to, I have quite alot of different Microphones etc, pop shields and sound deadening, but never recorded into a Mac before!

Cheers
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Griffin Technology Griffin Technology: Solutions for iPhone. Are you recording from Analog or Digital devices?

One of my projects for the future is to transfer a mountain of analog recordings from tapes and LPs to an external drive, and Griffin iMic is what I'll use. FinalVinyl is the software, also from Griffin.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have a variety of mics and other equipment to use then the Griffin iMic might not be the right device. It's not bad it's just not designed with those kinds of devices in mind. I am sure others here can advise about that better than I can.

@hughvane I am in the midst of the kind of project you are talking about FinalVinyl's not bad but you might find some other programs a bit more helpful -- particularly for removing things like pops and clicks. I'm currently using Amadeus Pro but Audacity has many of the same functions and it's free. there are also several other programs out there so plenty to choose from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A resounding 'hear, hear' for Amadeus. I know of no other app to match it for editing, esp those "pops and clicks" you refer to. Not happy with Audacity. I've not yet used FV, mainly because of inadequate working facilities, but it's definitely on the agenda.

It occurred to me after my first response, that TTA might find the pass-through method useful, ie. audio into his Mac from an external audio device, whereupon he uses something like WireTap to record it digitally.
I've just tried it - and it does work, with WT Prefs set to Source > Microphone/Line-In. Used a radio as the source - mono only unfortunately.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Great support with Amadeus too. Several years ago I bought two licenses. During one update cycle I discovered that the program would launch and appear to be recording but the file was never created. I passed the info on to the developer and within 24 hours he had provided a link to the "fixed" version. Turns out the problem was a conflict with Norton AV. Please no grief guys I have long seen seen the error of my ways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.