Hard Drive Format?

Reaction score
Firstly I'd like to apologise if this question has already been answered in another post. But I've searched the website and couldn't find the answer to my question, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Macbook and a Compaq Laptop and I'm trying to copy my music from one laptop to the other using my Freecom external hard drive. My hard drive has been formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journal), it was previously formatted in MS DOS mode which was recognised on the Compaq but not on the Macbook. Now when I plug it into my Windows laptop it isn't recognised. Bear with me I'm learning here! :Oops:

So, my question is- What's the best way to format the hard drive so I can use it on both of my laptops?

Thank you in advance for any advice you guys have!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Probably the easiest is to format the drive as FAT 32. Both Mac and Windows can read and write to drives with this format. Keep in mind though that each file must be less than 4 GB in order for FAT 32 to manage it.

If you are running OS X 10.6 there is an option to enable write support for NTFS in OS X using a Terminal command . I believe read support for NTFS is already on by default.

The most flexible option might be PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows which claims to let the Mac read NTFS and Windows read HFS+. I haven't tried these products but they seem to be well reviewed.

As a free option many users seem to be having good luck with Download MacFUSE for Mac - FUSE-compliant file system implementation mechanism. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Reaction score
I agree with Slydude that formatting the drive with FAT 32 would be easiest. I have two qualifications, however, which probably do not apply in your case. First, as Slydude mentioned, FAT 32 has a 4gb limit on individual file sizes. Second, FAT 32 has a 2tb limit on partition size.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the info about that 2TB limit Bruce. Not being a big fan of Windows FAT 32 I either didn't know this or had forgotten it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.