I cant reset my PRAM

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that is 3 years old and today it began to give me some issues that I figured resetting the PRAM would solve (I used to be a computer tech and had no problem with this). When I went to reset the PRAM (using command + option + R + P) but it just kept booting as if I was pressing nothing. I tried holding the keys at many different times during startup with the same result.... Anyone have any advice?

I am not mistaking the command and control keys and I tried at various timings during startup (apple.com says to hold them before the gray screen comes up). Nor am I not holding the keys long enough - I held them from before (and after) the gray screen until my login screen came up.

I googled this and did not find any similar issue, which makes me think it's user error, but it is simply holding down 4 keys....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hold them until you have heard 3 chimes and then release. That's the PRAM reset.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you holding all 4 keys down at the same time? Command+Option+P+R and keeping them all down? I press all 4 at the same time right at the startup sound. Keep them down and you should hear what Kevin mentioned above. If not, I wonder if there is a bad key on the keyboard?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thats the thing, i am holding the keys down, but it keeps booting and gives me the login screen as if I am doing nothing.

Also, the command, P and R keys work fine while i am using my computer. I also know the alt key works because I remote in to my office PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Speculation here, but the PRAM battery could be dead, but 3 years isn't very long.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you also need to use the keyboard that came with your computer. I've got a 20" white iMac and bought an aluminum keyboard. Well, I need to use the original white keyboard in order to zap PRAM or do any other key commands during boot. The aluminum keyboard commands won't register during boot, no matter how many times I try.

Reaction score
Oh sorry, I just re-read and saw you're using a MacBook. Maybe try using a USB keyboard if you can.

I wonder if there's a utility that can reboot and zap the pram for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
If the PRAM batt was dead, wouldn't it reset every time I shut down?

I will try with my office USB keyboard next week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say reset, do you mean you lose all data or settings? As an example, when my daughters G3 PRAM battery died, things like her dock preferences reset to default on the bottom, instead of where she'd put it at the side.
If that's the kind of thing you mean, then Yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.