Mac won't recognize camera (Fuji)

Reaction score
I just got a new Fuji Finepix J28 and when I plug it in via USB and attempt to turn it on like the instructions say, it won't come on. It isn't being recognized in iPhoto or FinePixViewer. Anyone know what I can do to get the camera to come on while it's hooked up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Strange, normally they just automatically go to USB connection. Have a good look at your camera settings, just to check you haven't missed an option.
Otherwise, you can remove the card and use a card reader.

C

chas_m

I used to have a Fuji P&S and I seem to recall that you had to put the camera in "computer mode" though perhaps that doesn't apply to this model.

You may also want to try a different USB cable. I had one go bad on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Cameras just behave weirdly sometimes. Try going into photo review (idk what it's really called) mode, see if that helps. Like Kevriano said, if worst comes to worst, pull out the card and use a card reader.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I used to have a Fuji P&S and I seem to recall that you had to put the camera in "computer mode" though perhaps that doesn't apply to this model.

You may also want to try a different USB cable. I had one go bad on me.

I had 2 HP's that were that way also. There was a USB Option menu in the cameras settings.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I'll check the camera options. With this camera you're supposed to plug it into the computer and then press the "play" button to turn the camera on. On my previous cameras the camera has automatically powered on when being hooked up to the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
I have an older model fuji camera and my Mac won't read the camera at all. My camera uses the XD memory card and it came with a card reader, this seems to be the only thing that works for me. I'm assuming since yours is newer it takes SD, in which case a card reader should only set you back $20 or so. Interestingly enough, when plugged into the USB port, iPhoto recognizes the card reader as a camera, and not a mass storage device. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.